Hibiscus & Grapefruit IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusader1612

Reaction score
My thoughts ar ethe sculpin IPA Clone with Red Grapfruit Zest in a dryhop form, and some hibiscus for the bright red colour, i want it to look like red grapfruit juice.

how much zest and how much hibiscus?
For the hibiscus, how should it be added and in what form flower tea etc.

Dry flower form is fine, that's what I've always done successfully. What's your batch size? I've done 1lb for a 5 gallon batch and for me is was perfect; however, it was very much hibiscus forward. You could quarter that, I think.

You could also tincture and add to taste until you get the ratio you want.

NOTE: It will impart a lot of bitterness, so you either need to adjust your hops accordingly OR add in non-fermentable sugars.

Just remember by adding hibiscus you're going to add bitterness and its floral aromas, not just color. I'm not sure what a tincture will do though as I only use dry flowers in the dry hopping phase myself.

Perfect gray.
Cheers. The 0.25oz per gallon might do the trick. Looks about right. Maybe 1.5 oz total for me to increase it a touch. But nothing major.

Back