Hi Ya from Pennsylvania :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stake

Reaction score
Hi Ya All!
Glad to be aboard, a bit about myself and what I do. I'm old and cheap, Haha. Have a tremendous wife that supports, but challenges me to find a cheaper way of doing the things I want to do...I started making wine, and have been quite successful, not being satisfied with just making wine I branched out to making beer my way. I'm also able to use quite a bit of my wine making supplies, in brewing beer. I've done a lot of research, and decided on building a 3 vessel 1 pump HERMS system. I researched malting drying, creating my own crystal/caramel malts, from American 6 row Barley, along with Various verities of Wheat and Rye. I have 2 strands of yeast cultures, that I keep and reuse (both are Ale strains) I am hoping to start growing my own hops... I'm hoping to learn, and appreciate all you here for your knowledge and willingness to share your experiences... Thank You:mug:

Welcome to the addiction! I have been brewing for over 27 years and still love it as much now as I did in the beginning. This forum is a tremendous resource for all things homebrewing. I am originally from Central PA until relocating for my job. Where are you located?

Enjoy your brewing journey!

I'm located North Western part of Pa.
Haha, I'm not sure if you'd consider me an alcoholic, but I am addicted to brewing.

If you ever get around to the Central PA area, there is a nice LHBS in the town of Lemoyne called Scotzin's. I used to frequent them all of the time back in the day when I still lived in PA.

Welcome Stake! I’m originally from Northeastern PA, now in south central PA. I grew my own hops for a couple of years and honestly for the time involved and not knowing the AA% I’ve found it easier to just by it by the pound. As cubalz said if your ever down this way Scotzin Bros is the best shop in the area. Lastly read up on all the various types of systems before you decide. I’m on my 3rd setup and wish I went electric from the beginning. It would have saved me some money.

I'm also in PA and grow my own hops and have to agree with the above comment that its a labor of love, I have to put in a ridiculous amount of time to get a pound of hops, its way cheaper to buy them. Having said that, I'm still growing them.
You're better off planting some cider apple trees and growing fruit for fermenting that you just can't buy elsewhere. Good luck and happy brewing!

Back