Hi. Looking for soda bottles and a preservative.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshK

Reaction score
I am new to the hobby and forum. I have been working tirelessly for 2 months to create a tasty soda, and think I will have succeeded after my latest purchase arrives. It just needs a tweak.
I want to make a large batch and have it be shelf stable for storage and maybe sending it to family and friends.
What do members do for bottles? I think it would be far cooler to have new bottles than to re-use bottles.
And what is the preferred soda preservative for you guys?

I use old beer bottles and soda bottles. A rag tag mix of whatever beer bottles my buddy gave me and some Pop Shoppe bottles we had hanging around since the early 80’s.

I use 500ml PET bottles. No preservative for me, except for storing it in a fridge. How are you carbonating your soda? I use yeast or gingerbug.

I've been using a sodastream bottle and the sodastream carbonator.

Yea it seems everyone reuses old ones. I wanted new so I could give some away and possibly sell some. Nobody is going to be okay with me reusing old bottles.

Yea it seems everyone reuses old ones. I wanted new so I could give some away and possibly sell some. Nobody is going to be okay with me reusing old bottles.
Define 'nobody' because I don't think I have ever met anyone who had a problem with recycling bottles. We all do it. They are easy to clean and sanitize to be like new.

I have a bunch of 1 liter PET bottles from sparkling water at Aldi. I make root beer and carb using carbonator caps. No preservatives, as the root beer is usually gone in a few days.

Nothing wrong with re-using pop bottles, and we should. I have refilled some of the PET bottles a dozen times and they hold the pressure just fine. Just don't use the bottles from regular bottled water, they aren't designed to withstand pressure.

Back