Hi from Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loki993

Reaction score
Hi Im Ryan. Ive been into craft beer for a few years now. Brewing my own beer has always crossed my mind but the initial cost of the start up, as little as it is, has thrown me a bit and time. Kinda one of those things you think Ill get to it next month and never do. Well I've been invited, and will be attending, my first homebrew meeting and I think I'm going to bite the bullet and get my kit.

As much as Id love to jump in and start doing all kinda of huge crazy beers Im going to take advice and start with the kits and get good at that. Most of the places around here stock a lot of Brewers Best kits, are they ok? I've heard some say yeah and some say they arent. I'm a big IPA guy so my first kit will probably be that. Then after that maybe a Brown ale or Porter for the GF.

So just saying hi and looking forward to learning a ton from you all here.

Hi, what brewing group meeting are you going to?

brewer's best kits are fine. perhaps on a bit pricey side. you might want to check out Cap n cork's "own" made kits. I think they're a bit cheaper. also depends on what kit (type of beer that is), as some ar emore or less depending on what ingredients are in them. making a kit is a cheap way to see if you like making your own without spending too much on equipment for all grain or making your own kit.

I'm sure you've already been to Hopman's store. I don't know if there's a store north of Holly tho??

Hi, what brewing group meeting are you going to?

brewer's best kits are fine. perhaps on a bit pricey side. you might want to check out Cap n cork's "own" made kits. I think they're a bit cheaper. also depends on what kit (type of beer that is), as some ar emore or less depending on what ingredients are in them. making a kit is a cheap way to see if you like making your own without spending too much on equipment for all grain or making your own kit.

I'm sure you've already been to Hopman's store. I don't know if there's a store north of Holly tho??

The one at kuhnhenns, I was talking to a bunch of the guys on Saturday there and they said I should come and check it out.

I've been to a couple, but just kinda looking around getting feel for things. Is hopmans in Waterford? I've been to that one and the one right across from kuhnhenns.

I'm not sure whats north of Holly, I work in Pontiac so I'm south enough that a place down here isn't a big deal. Also looks like Cap and Cork is pretty close to the GFs house so we will definitely check that out.

Greetings! My wife's family is from the Holly and Fenton area.

Nothing wrong with the brewers best kits, but I think most big stores have better recipes and they can sell you the ingredients probably cheaper than a BB kit. There are many good IPA kits out there. My favorite recipe is a Two Hearted clone. I've heard good things about several of the store kits, but I've brewed the recipe on this site and it's darn close! I think you should be fine no matter which kit you get.

Just keep the temps down during fermentation (mid 60s) and make sure it ferments out completely. Don't forget to add the dry hops either in secondary if you use a secondary, or after the krausen has fallen if you are going to skip the secondary (add the dry hops directly to the primary). Two hearted uses only Centennial hops.

Greetings! My wife's family is from the Holly and Fenton area.

Nothing wrong with the brewers best kits, but I think most big stores have better recipes and they can sell you the ingredients probably cheaper than a BB kit. There are many good IPA kits out there. My favorite recipe is a Two Hearted clone. I've heard good things about several of the store kits, but I've brewed the recipe on this site and it's darn close! I think you should be fine no matter which kit you get.

Just keep the temps down during fermentation (mid 60s) and make sure it ferments out completely. Don't forget to add the dry hops either in secondary if you use a secondary, or after the krausen has fallen if you are going to skip the secondary (add the dry hops directly to the primary). Two hearted uses only Centennial hops.

The temperature thing was actually one thing I was concerned about. I don't have a basement, so cellaring isn't possible. If I keep the AC in the house high, which I do when I'm not there, the house can hit 80 degrees. I may have to get a beer fridge which was an expense that was also keeping me from starting this. I'm going to check the temp in a closet when I get a chance, but I doubt it'll be anywhere near 60.

An alternative is to get a yeast strain like a steam beer yeast and just get it down as low as you can go. Buy a $5 plastic tub from Walmart and put your fermenter in that. Fill with water until it's just under the level of wort in the fermenter.

Freeze water in empty soda bottles. Add a few of them to the water in the tub twice a day to help keep it water cool.

It's a bit of work, but you KNOW you will be going in there to look at the fermenter a few times a day anyway!

An alternative is to get a yeast strain like a steam beer yeast and just get it down as low as you can go. Buy a $5 plastic tub from Walmart and put your fermenter in that. Fill with water until it's just under the level of wort in the fermenter.

Freeze water in empty soda bottles. Add a few of them to the water in the tub twice a day to help keep it water cool.

It's a bit of work, but you KNOW you will be going in there to look at the fermenter a few times a day anyway!

True I could do that, didn't think of that, Ill probably do that until I can get the money up to get something better.

There is a place in warren that seems to have some hotel liquidation stuff. They have some beverage coolers for 50 bucks, Id have to go look at them because Im betting they are pretty small. I guess I need to keep my eye on craigslist.

I've done the water tub & its a cheap alternative when you're starting out. Winter weather is better for brewing if you can't control your temps. If you don't get water tub try laundry sink filled with water & ice jugs during this weather... although its supposed to get cool this weekend 70s/50s

I bought a window A/C at a yard sale for $10. Put it in my laundry room (6'X12'), put foam insulation panels in the windows, and it keeps the room at 70 on low, even on the hottest days. I keep my bottle conditioning beer in there. Made a keezer for the fermenting ones. Best $10 I've spent in a while. I'm going to have to put a chair and TV in there, it's the only cool place in the house!

My advice is if you are going to go with the brewers best IPA kit you will want to pick up 3-4 more ounces of hops to add in at flame out and dry hopping to crank up your hop flavor and aroma, you never know how old those kits are so the hops may not be the freshest, also make sure you pitch the yeast in the low 60's and keep the ferment temp there, definitely under 70. Temps are the most important part of the process IMO. Oh yah I forgot to mention hop varieties, I would go with Citra or Amarillo for your extra flameout and dry hops. These hops are amazing and you will surely live them I you like IPA. Good luck! Be sure to let us know how your adventure goes!

My advice is if you are going to go with the brewers best IPA kit you will want to pick up 3-4 more ounces of hops to add in at flame out and dry hopping to crank up your hop flavor and aroma, you never know how old those kits are so the hops may not be the freshest, also make sure you pitch the yeast in the low 60's and keep the ferment temp there, definitely under 70. Temps are the most important part of the process IMO. Oh yah I forgot to mention hop varieties, I would go with Citra or Amarillo for your extra flameout and dry hops. These hops are amazing and you will surely live them I you like IPA. Good luck! Be sure to let us know how your adventure goes!

+1

In other news, enjoy HBT and welcome (from the Detroit Area)!

Welcome from the U.P.! check out the extract recipies on the site and try making one or more that you like the sound of. I found that purchasing the DME, hops and yeast from northern or midwest was cheaper than buying kits. You can even come up with ideas for your own brews in smaller batch size until you get the hang of it. The use of dry yeast is much cheaper than liquid when first starting and easy to use and store. Good luck and welcome to a great hobby & forum. Cheers:D

Latest posts

Back