Hi, from Lowell MI!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torque2k

Reaction score
Greets to all! I'm preparing to re-enter brewing society after a 10+ year hiatus (and even then, I was a noob). Once I was but the student, and now I'll be forced into the role of teacher to two neighbors who are very interested in getting into brewing. Thank goodness for John Palmer and HBT!

We've got equipment on order, some to buy yet, and a local beer store (Pauly's) with a love for homebrewing (good selection including locally grown hops from Saranac, and great knowledge). The owner is actually going out to Maine with a small group soon to brew with Mr. Papazian for a week! (Means I'll get my Joy book signed, at least!)

We'll be starting with extracts, full boil on a 40-qt aluminum pot, but I may start my students out right by introducing partial grains. And maybe EdWort's Apfelwein...

Looking forward to the addiction again! :rockin:
Dan

Hey, I am origainlly from MI... got out while the getting was good. Welcome to HBT, you will find a plethera of good information, and equal amounts of bad advice here :p

There is much here that flies in the face of Palmer and the like, but guys here are pioneers, generally not good at following.

Hi there! I'm from Michigan, too -- Lansing area :)

I'm also new here ... my husband asked for a homebrewing kit for Father's Day (OK, he bought it for himself, and a couple of months early), and he's been unstoppable ever since. I started reading one of his books to see what all the fuss was about, and now I'm addicted, too!

Thanks, all. Did anyone make it out to Brew-B-Q in Lowell yesterday? Not bad for a first-year competition. Five breweries made a showing: Arcadia, Founders, Shorts, Schmolz, and HopCat (now that they're actually brewing). HopCat had a killer Belgian IPA, which I understand was a mistake which is now gaining some fans.

Saranac Fresh Hops was also there, but I didn't get a chance to talk with him (swamped).

Oh, and the BBQ was good, too. :)

Hey, I am origainlly from MI... got out while the getting was good. Welcome to HBT, you will find a plethera of good information, and equal amounts of bad advice here :p

There is much here that flies in the face of Palmer and the like, but guys here are pioneers, generally not good at following.

Indiana people are lonely for greeting new brewers; they have to come to Michigan to say hey.

Thanks, all. Did anyone make it out to Brew-B-Q in Lowell yesterday? Not bad for a first-year competition. Five breweries made a showing: Arcadia, Founders, Shorts, Schmolz, and HopCat (now that they're actually brewing). HopCat had a killer Belgian IPA, which I understand was a mistake which is now gaining some fans.

Saranac Fresh Hops was also there, but I didn't get a chance to talk with him (swamped).

Oh, and the BBQ was good, too. :)

Missed that. I did get to stop at Hopcat and sample a couple. I tried the Kolsch, and it was a bit strange. The manager admitted that they had problems with that one...

I hope they get their brewing figured out. It's a nice place with almost 50 taps.

Welcome from a former Traverse City person now living on the other side of the Lake.

I PMed xiang for the map link; I may be able to swing out. I see you're starting around 9AM; how long do you usually go?

since it will mostly be allgrain batches it'll take at least until 3pm. i myself might not make it till 10am, so a 5hr run is about high average. add in all the bs'ing that goes on and a 6hr brewday is not out of the question

Latest posts

Back