Hi from Chicago!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKuyken

Reaction score
Been meaning to brew for years, but never got around to doing anything about it until a month or so ago. Now my first batch is finished and half the bottles are already gone with more friends and family still demanding to try. I guess people liked it. Next Brew day is tommorrow. Hope to get lots of good advice and share lots of good beer stories for my future homebrewing endeavors here.

Welcome SKuyken! We lived in Chicago for 29 years (actually, my husband did all of his life) until 5 years ago when we moved to Central WI.

I just started brewing in July - we tried the first brew (a Nut Brown Ale) a few days ago and really like it. Tonight we are tasting the Porter and the Cream Ale that we brewed next - and are hoping they're both good, because we have 50 people coming over tomorrow. I'd hate to have to go buy a lot of commercial beer!

Have a red ale and an IPA in process - would have moved them into bottles (red ale) and the secondary fermenter (the IPA) today, except that I really have a lot to do to get ready for this party tomorrow. Next on board is an Oatmeal Stout.

Where in Chicago are you? We lived mostly on the south (East Side for 5 years, Lansing for 11 years, NW Indiana - St. John - for 5 years., I was in Hyde Park and Calumet City for a while too - husband grew up in South Chicago - we did spend three years in Riverside and Elmhurst).

Enjoy this hobby - I can't believe how much I love it.

Slainte,
Susan

I've lived in various places on the northside from Lakeview to Logan Square to the more nothwest side and even a year in Mt Prospect. Now back in the city on the northwest side.

I got my pale ale bubbling away nicely in the basement and I cannot wait to try it. I'm thinking about what is next for the fall brewing season.

Welcome! I was in the same situation last year when I started. Was thinking about it for years and finally decided to start. I'm in Northlake not to far from Chicago. Glad to hear your beer is good so far.

Welcome from Lakeview!!!! If you have questions or need advise feel free to ask.

Of the many places I lived in Chicago, lakeview was by far my favorite. Not to mention that there are far better brepubs, restraunts, bars, and liquor stores to get good beer there than anywere else I've been, but I am sick of moving and I suppose it was a pain to get anywhere besides the loop when I was there.

You've got a lot of great brewers in your area. I live far to the SW of the City, but Chicago has quite a few large homebrewing clubs. I just joined HBT today, but I've been brewing since this past Februrary. My friend and I are still getting our "beerlegs" with all-grain, but our extract brews have turned out very nice so far. Tomorrow we're brewing 10 gallons of Ocktoberfest, but it's our first lager and won't be ready until late Oktober or early November - a far cry from the real Oktoberfest time, September. We'll have to do better planning next year.

Welcome to the hobby - it's pretty awesome so far.

As a matter of fact I am looking for a homebrew club. The only home brewer I know lives in Seattle and frankly all the non brewers around here are tired of my beer and brewing talk.

Back