Hi , FNG here, just started brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking for a good relatively short turnaround stout or Porter? N IPA's lol and suggestions grateful

• Introductions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stout or Porter recipe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gussguss

A natural at making good beer lol
Reaction score
Hello all, I want to say hi and thank you for all the great info and for being humble and humorous. The beer in kettle is my first. Sweet Porter, should be called a stout porter lol. ABV was about 2 percent higher than expected. I just bottled and gonna let it set 4 weeks with a taste at 2. I brewed and bottled a Dunkelwiezen that is carbonated and delicious. Tastes like 10$ per 6 pak beer. I also just bottled a an Irish red ale 6% ABV. Have an all grain oatmeal stout bubbling away. I have 2 fermenters and one is empty. Any suggestions on a nice ale with relatively quick turnaround. I don't ever wanna buy another beer after tasting home made, I love ales and porters, stouts, don't like IPA's at all. Was thinking of a pumpkin ale but kind of out of season and probably needs 2 stage fermentation, any suggestions on a nice stout or Porter would be apperciated. Thank you all so very much and may God bless you. Guss, btw South Dakota here. Frozen wastelands lol

Welcome to the forum, from Minnesota!

For quick turnaround ales, lots to choose from. Check the recipe section. Plenty of porters and stouts. An English bitter would be good, too. Since you're doing AG, you could try a SMaSH (single malt and single hop) beer. Maris Otter with your favorite Brit hops would be easy.

You generally don't need to use a secondary, unless you're brewing something that needs to bulk age several months, such as an imperial stout. For most beers, you can keep it in primary for up to a few months without any issues. Autolysis from the yeast cake is only an issue in big, commercial conicals, where fluid pressure is high at the bottom. In a homebrewing system, no problem.

Thank you very much for reply, I have bulk 2 row us briess, don't like paying 2 times the price for anything, have a brick of Safale 04 coming, I also have a pund of black barley, maybe when my yeast gets here I'll do 10lb 2 row, 1 lb black barley, a fuggle at 60 and another at 15. That is pretty simple huh. I'd run it through calculator of course first. Thanks for your input and suggestions kind sir.

Welcome from Long Island. The closest I've ever gotten to SD is NE Nebraska winters were pretty darn cold there too. You could probably get an Irish stout going, or an oatmeal stout and have it done for that mid-March holiday.

Pasadena CA in the house!... Welcome... Lot's of good info to be had here.... Plenty of people willing to answer questions.

You will be assimilated!

Welcome from another Minnesotan. I drove through South Dakota on my way to the eclipse last August. Minneapolis to Wyoming and back in 32 hours.

This is a great resource, just ask a question and people are willing to help. MaxStout is right about not needing a secondary. I haven't used one for years.

Back