Hey slurry (re)Pitchers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in the same boat as you partner. Pitching slurry for me is guessing at best... Hope to hear from someone that knows their business soon on this topic...

I usually repitch slurry for about 6 consecutive batches and follow the Mr Malty guesstimate. So far so good over the last couple years.

I usually bottle( and harvest) on a Friday and brew the next batch on Saturday morning. Fridged overnight, that 'muck' will settle. I've marked my mason jar 100ml,200ml,300ml,400ml, and so can guesstimate how much I'm pitching. But generally I pitch one jar for <1.060, 2 jars for over. Probably 3 jars for an average OG lager.

A whole pint jar? Seems like a lot.

After settling for 8 hrs, I ended up with a 1/2 cup of 'liquid' which I poured off, then I ended up pitching the middle 1/2 cup.

Will report back if I remember to.

Rather than go by specific volume I generally pitch a 3rd of the slurry from a batch. Maybe half if I'm brewing a 10% beer. That'll get you in the ballpark.

The other thing you can do is skim yeast off the krausen and store it if you're worried about gunk in your brew... though I havent had an issue yet.

I usually repitch slurry for about 6 consecutive batches and follow the Mr Malty guesstimate. So far so good over the last couple years.

Me too. I buy yeast twice a year, and the rest of the time I follow mrmalty's slurry calculator. It's always been perfect for me, and unless I actually buy a hemocytometer, that's what I'll continue to do. It's the best way to estimate the cell counts I know of.

Well, it's been 12 hrs since I last checked and I've got pretty good bubbling through a blowoff tube.

Seems like it worked just fine.

I suppose I should note that this was Safale S-05.

A whole pint jar? Seems like a lot.

After settling for 8 hrs, I ended up with a 1/2 cup of 'liquid' on top, which I poured off, then I ended up pitching the middle 1/2 cup.

Will report back if I remember to.

Actually, I use qt. mason jars. But after settling I decant the fluid on top and pitch the actual yeast slurry. Tends to be in the 200-300ml range per jar.

Repitch Rules:

Wort volume in liters x gravity in Plato=pitch volume in ml.

Ex:
5.7 g @ 1.060 =
21.57 l x 15 = 323.5ml

Ale x .75, Lager x 1.5

Well, I checked on it this morning and it was out the blowoff tube.

I ended up pitching 1/2 cup (about 125 ml) from the middle of the jar on the first post. Which, according to Mr. Malty, may have even been an overpitch.

We shall see. So far, so good.

Rather than go by specific volume I generally pitch a 3rd of the slurry from a batch. Maybe half if I'm brewing a 10% beer. That'll get you in the ballpark.

That's what I do too. I collect the entire yeast cake in 3-4 mason jars. Next batch gets an entire mason jar's worth of yeast. 2 if it's a lager. No starter, just let it warm up to room temperature while brewing, then pitch the whole thing.

It's pretty hard to overpitch, and the consequences are far, far less dire than underpitching.

I ended up pitching 1/2 cup (about 125 ml) from the middle of the jar on the first post. Which, according to Mr. Malty, may have even been an overpitch.

I also use Mrmalty for repitching slurry and about 1/2 cup (~100ml) of slurry is a pretty typical pitch for me. It's never let me down.

Repitch Rules:

Wort volume in liters x gravity in Plato=pitch volume in ml.

Ex:

5.7 g @ 1.060 =

21.57 l x 15 = 323.5ml

Ale x .75, Lager x 1.5

Thanks for this reference, also.
One question: what slurry density is this using? Washed, harvested yeast, or unwashed (poured straight from bottom of fermentor) yeast? I have some WLP001 that I saved after my last pale ale, unwashed - I just swirled what was left of the beer after racking into the yeast cake to resuspend it, then poured out into two pint jars, and threw em in the fridge. It did have trub and dry hops in it (but I'm using it in a hoppy Amber ale, so not too worried about flavor carrying over).

I do plan on making a starter, but am trying to figure out a cell count per volume of this saved yeast to enter into the starter calculator. Thanks!

Also, what's a normal viability loss for slurry? Same as fresh yeast? I use Brewersfriend for my recipes and yeast calculator, and it says 4 week old liquid yeast is about 80% viable... Could I assume the same for my refrigerated slurry?

My next batch is a 3 gal 1.060 Amber ale:
13.64 L (3 gal) X 15*P (1.060) = 204.6 ml... X .75 (Ale rate) = 153.45 ml... X .8 (viability for 4 week old yeast) = 122.76 ml
Brewersfriend tells me I need 126 B cells for this ale, so I should be good without making a starter, right? (I have more yeast than that, so I'll just up it to 130 or so just to make measuring easier...)

Back