Hey Gang, it's "Moot" not "Mute"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shot, score. Hermit is still right, but the irony is suffocating!
Years ago a black man said something to me. My first reaction was that it was bad English. My second, and more lasting impression, was that it more concisely stated the point than "proper Engllish" would have. Now I'm more of a 'message sent, message recieved' oriented person.

Nicely done, even though you've used a sentence fragment to accomplish it. :p :mug:
See above. I came to the realization from that encounter that English is fat and bloated. Just like me.:cross: Why make a simple idea needlessly bloated when common usage permits otherwise? That is why language evolves. People expect to see more formal rules adhered to in written language but most people in forums take the conversational approach, especially for short messages.

I find that I communicate messages effectively and quickly without using any slang.

when people use slang and wrong words THEY SOUND STUPIDER THAN THEY ARE.

Wanna sound stupid? Knock yourself out.

Oh?

Just giving you a hard time. :D

Lol,
I was referring to spoken word, but SHOT! score.

I may say "wanna" occasionally, I never say AINT out loud, but occasionally it finds it's way into my type, for emphasis I guess.

Typing constricts my use of inflection, pitch, etc. so my typing frustration sometimes manifests itself in those ways.

anyways, this thread was really about "wrong" words, not slang. Sorry I diverged.;)

:mug:

cheezydemon3 said:
I may say "wanna" occasionally, I never say AINT out loud, but occasionally it finds it's way into my type, for emphasis I guess.

I say wanna ask the time, i don't really know how often I type it.

As far as spoken word goes, does anyone ever say going to? I thought about it and I'm pretty sure that always becomes gonna when I'm talking.

See above. I came to the realization from that encounter that English is fat and bloated. Just like me.:cross: Why make a simple idea needlessly bloated when common usage permits otherwise? That is why language evolves. People expect to see more formal rules adhered to in written language but most people in forums take the conversational approach, especially for short messages.

I agree that simpler is better and using the correct term can actually help economize. Using a word that is patently incorrect or carelessly misspelled is not better, even on a forum.

I agree that simpler is better and using the correct term can actually help economize. Using a word that is patently incorrect or carelessly misspelled is not better, even on a forum.
Wrong words I'll agree with. I'm as guilty as the next of hearing a word all of my life without ever have seen it in writing. Sometimes what you first thought you heard sticks. One that sticks out was a song on the radio when I was a kid about some guy with the odd name of Onley D'Lonley. I grew up in a mixed ethnic neighborhood so even though I thought it sounded strange it wasn't any stranger than other names I'd heard. It was years before I figured out it was "Only the lonely.....".

In the case of "irregardless" it technically means the polar opposite of "regarless" and so, taken literally, says the opposite of what the linguistic offender meant.

HORRRIBLE!

Utterance of the word irregardles leaves me with an immediate and involuntary reaction. As much as I don't want to, I assume that you are partly retarded.

How about the fact that "An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth" is a mitigatory phrase. "Let the punishment suit the crime, dont execute a man who took a tooth." I understand that language evolves but someone should have really worked to fix this before it was too late.

Lol. We have few safe havens from such as that.

I guess what bothers me about that is that it makes no sense. i guess i'm just too stuck on understanding why a phrase means what it means before randomly spouting it.

my sister used to think it was "for all intensive purposes".

The correct spelling is "per se." It is Latin, roughly translated as "in/by/of itself."

(I'm hoping this is correct use of quotation marks...)

I guess what bothers me about that is that it makes no sense. i guess i'm just too stuck on understanding why a phrase means what it means before randomly spouting it.

my sister used to think it was "for all intensive purposes".

so the thing in question was only in effect if a situation was INTENSIVE!!!lol.

Notated gives me shivers.

While it is technically a word, it means that something is noted in the margins, or at the far bottom or top, outside of the accepted print area.

I have been told that this sign "notates" that there is no smoking, the rate on a loan is "notated" right there in the middle of the page.

why does it bother me?

When the word "noted" works and is shorter, the extra "ated" seems added on to make the speaker sound more technologically intellectualated.

Every time I start a new job I have to go to orientation. Apparently, before going through said process I was disorientated.

Back