Hey Gang, it's "Moot" not "Mute"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D0ug

Reaction score
Ya brought out my inner grammar nazi.

Mute means unable to speak

Moot means irrelevant

Just been seeing it on here a bunch recently and we are better than that people, come on!

rant over

:mug:

Grammar_Nazis____The_Motivator_by_ZlayaHozyayka.jpg

(But you are right) :)

You can distract yourself from these grammar issues by going off to brew a Belgium Ale......

I don't mind misspells or poorly formed posts or even the trend toward lousy/leet type abbreviations but the wrong word (moot/mute, their/there/they're, here/hear, etc) thing bugs me for some reason. Not like "post a correction with links and stuff" bugs me but like "driving down the road and hit a pot hole you didn't notice" bugs me. I just keep going but it is jarring/distracting when it happens, lol.

I don't mind misspells or poorly formed posts or even the trend toward lousy/leet type abbreviations but the wrong word (moot/mute, their/there/they're, here/hear, etc) thing bugs me for some reason. Not like "post a correction with links and stuff" bugs me but like "driving down the road and hit a pot hole you didn't notice" bugs me. I just keep going but it is jarring/distracting when it happens, lol.

This, along with the complete lack of punctuation. Stream of consciousness is not a viable forum language.

"Though the point may be mute, like a 10 year old boy, with his throat and his dreams ripped out by wolves." ~King Missile, A Happy Note.

Their, their... Honest missteak... Give the spellurs a brake!

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt! See if yuor fdreins can raed tihs too.

From...
http://www.ecenglish.com/learnenglish/lessons/can-you-read

I'm amazed how many times I see people talk about their vile of yeast.

I'm on a pipe smoking forum as well, no not THAT kind of pipe people, and it's amazing how often someone will be asking about the bowl of their pipe and refer to it as the bowel. I don't know how many threads I've seen asking about how often one should be reaming out their bowels. There really is no easy way to answer that question and it's probably best left to your doctor to discuss that with you.

Answer: As often as you care to. We are not here to judge. Now, do you have a pipe smoking question?
I'm on a pipe smoking forum as well, no not THAT kind of pipe people, and it's amazing how often someone will be asking about the bowl of their pipe and refer to it as the bowel. I don't know how many threads I've seen asking about how often one should be reaming out their bowels. There really is no easy way to answer that question and it's probably best left to your doctor to discuss that with you.

Ya brought out my inner grammar nazi.

Mute means unable to speak

Moot means irrelevant

Just been seeing it on here a bunch recently and we are better than that people, come on!

rant over

:mug:

Multiple broken sentences and lack of periods. You also created a new pronoun! If you're going to be a grammar nazi then you could try to lead by example. :p

Ha! I contend that using the wrong word occasionally doesn't affect the quality of communication. Consider the following examples:

Belgian porters may be stout.
I chilled my wart.

So, if Helen Keller is a deaf moot, is that irrelevant?

People are definately suppose to proofread there posts; that way your going to make less mistakes, then without, proofreadign.

After all, rules of grammar is something schools should insure their alumnis know about.

Sometimes the then/than errors can be funny, such as "I'd rather be p*ssed off then p*ssed on."

The only grammar Nazi I can't stand is the guy who uses a typo as an argument in a debate.

"Well, clearly your argument is invalid because you hit the wrong button..."

Multiple broken sentences and lack of periods. You also created a new pronoun! If you're going to be a grammar nazi then you could try to lead by example. :p
Poetic license

If you

do

this

It's a poem

and it does not even

need to

rhyme!

(And it was intentional ;) )

Back