Hey Everyone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webdog76

Reaction score
Hey All,
New member here. Intermediate level brewer transplanted from the West Coast to Boston for work. I miss the West coast style of ultra-fresh Hoppiness and $7-$8 six packs. Right now I am experimenting with a Saison Fusion which is really a IFA (imperial farmhouse ale) I created as a means to use up some malt. Its darker than most saison but it should be nice. With that I am also fermenting at a much higher temp than I ever have in the past, due mainly to the expensive electricity and inefficient insulation of my apartment. For this reason I am brewing with mainly saison yeast (Lallemand) which performs nicely at rapidly changing 70-85 F. I also have a pale (sierra nevada-like ) hopped with Amarillo, Cascade, and hallertau. Hopefully they can all bottle condition nicely as I am traveling for the next several weeks. While I love hoppy beers, I am slowly learning to appreciate the more traditional European styles of brewing and hope that you all can help me expand my brewing expertise. Cheers. ~Webdog

Welcome to the East Coast (and the hub of the universe). I'm originally from Sacramento, and have been in the Boston Area for about a dozen years now. There are some pretty good homebrew shops around. If you haven't found Homebrew Emporium, there's one in Cambridge, and in Weymouth. I use the Weymouth store and the team there is very helpful. They have a nice grain room, too.

Best of Luck!

Thanks. I too am a customer of the Weymouth store. Good selection but wish their grain was a bit cheaper. However, I prefer to support local business so price inflation is a necessity. Your brew setup looks to support a huge variety of taps. Is it a keezer system?
Cheers

I started with a chest keezer with 4 taps. Then I added an upright as a fermentation chamber, and last Thanksgiving I converted it to dual purpose - fermentation and serving. And since then I've added a nitro tap. So, now I can serve 9 beers (including one nitro) and a wine on tap if need be. Most of the time I have 4 beers and a red wine on tap. These are older photos, but are pretty close (less the nitro tap).

The Weymouth store did a couple of 50# sack buys last year that helped keep the cost of base grains down. When you stop in, ask Jim ( the older bald manager) when they are going to have them this year. It seemed like o

Chest Keezer.jpg

Upright Keezer 12-2013.jpg

Back