Hey chicompany where's my parts ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iasquith

Reaction score
so I've sent various emails, it's been more than a month now since the order was 'processed'.so far I've only received my yeast but the main thing I'm waiting for is the shank for my perlick, along with some other hardware.
I'm posting here in the hope that someone from the company sees the post and also to see if other people are having problems with their orders too.
usually things arrive here from the states in about fifteen days or so (I'm in Brazil )
but I'm sure not going to call from from here .
so if anyone is having problems with their orders or someone from chicompany sees this post please please tell me what is going on .
thanks Ian.

Placed an order last Wednesday. Being shipped in two packages;. One left the U.S. shortly after midnight on Monday while the other is still showing electronic shipping info received according to USPS. Still, not bad so far.

so I've sent various emails, it's been more than a month now since the order was 'processed'.so far I've only received my yeast but the main thing I'm waiting for is the shank for my perlick, along with some other hardware.
I'm posting here in the hope that someone from the company sees the post and also to see if other people are having problems with their orders too.
usually things arrive here from the states in about fifteen days or so (I'm in Brazil )
but I'm sure not going to call from from here .
so if anyone is having problems with their orders or someone from chicompany sees this post please please tell me what is going on .
thanks Ian.

I feel very sorry for you, Ian. Almost as much as for myself. Don't expect a call from Chicompany. I ordered from them too recently and never received my last part from them- one that was very important to me as I was waiting to brew with my newly purchased all grain rig for it.... and waiting ... and waiting.... I must have communicated with him ohh about 20 times (not an exaggeration) over the course of the month since I paid in full for my parts. They never came and I never was treated as a valued customer by the company.

Good strategy to post about it on the forum. The owner sure checks the forum a whole lot more than he tends to proper customer service. I'd look for a reply here first rather than from a phone call.

The main issue with the company is that the owner of the company is the one who answers the phones and does the processing. That job is clearly too much for him and he needs to hire someone who better understands (as I do for my business) the single most important tenet of being a salesman: YOU SAY WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO AND THEN YOU DO WHAT YOU SAID. I can't tell you how many dozen times that issue came up for me for my first and only order with the company. I never once received a call back from him when he said he was going to call. Never received a price quote, an inquiry into product specs, or anything else I asked for in any time frame that he himself gave me for finding the answer (and I gave him a huge margin of error..days). Never. Not once. And, to boot, he used the opportunity of me asking for parts he didn't have listed online to update his website. When I called with a credit card and a spreadsheet, my parts actually shipped 48 hrs later- well, the ones that shipped.

I finally actually had to reverse partial charges with AMEX since I was thru trying to beat someone's door down to pay them money to do their job. And even after that, I received no call. Guess he was indifferent to my business. That's all I needed to know. There are plenty of home brew stores out there. Having nice parts and good prices is only part of the battle. He burned me for the first and last time. And, as he should know, that's how you start a reputation. Reputation is key in sales. He doesn't "get" sales.

thanks for the replies .
Sanketpankey, yes I dont think I'll be returning to spend more money with them nor recomending them to anyone else, at least while they dont respond to my query and give some kind of satisfaction be it 'out of stock' or simply 'we've sent it'. then at least I'd know where the problem lies.
captn. Kirk, I tried to post in the ' vendors showcase' but it seems as though I'm blocked from doing so (but a good idea anyway).
As its my only channel of communication open to chicompany(thanks to HBT a great site) hey I'm still here my Invoice No. is 4033 thanks Ian.
is 4033

I've thought about buying some stuff from them but I'm hesitant. I see a lot of mixed reviews on here. Some people seem to have a great experience with them and others like you, well not so much. I guess I'm better off paying slightly more and going with the vendors I know will take care of me... </2&#572;>

In this day and age, you can't get away with poor customer service. With websites like this, customers are going to talk, and bad experiences get talked about much more than good ones. There is no excuse for not replying to customers questions and concerns. There is nothing more frustrating than paying for an item for an online purchase, not receiving the item and then not getting any feedback from the seller.

It seems to be that in the last few months he has had some problems. It was only after posting on here that I got any service. I for one wont order from there again.

+1 On a poorly run company. My one and only dealing got no response from him on a problem and only was fixed by contacting the manufacturer who was extremely customer service friendly and sent me the replacement parts ASAP.

He really just needs to hire someone who is less of a flake salesman. Then his business would be fine. He has some good products. But his customer service is like the opposite side of the spectrum of, say, McMaster Carr..... who's customer service is AWESOME- and you pay for it.

Knowing what I know now.... I'll gladly pay for it.

Just to be frank:

The part that he didn't send me-

I paid someone else 9 times more for it. And would do it again.

(OK, it was stainless and his was not. but that's how important it was)

just an update,
it seems I've managed to get a response of kinds, now my order status as changed to 'pending' ,
which sounds like my parts are not lost in the post but in fact have not been sent out yet which is not good as thats going to take at least another twenty days to get to me .
maybe I should be glad something happened at least:(

Ian,
As we PMd you, your second box is probably held up in customs. We have no control on Brazilian Customs or any other foreign countries. We suspect they will arrive any day, if they have not already done so.

To Sanke Pankey:
Sir, by your own statements on the phone, you went to FOUR different sources to get parts for (your seemingly overcomplicated) system. The CHI Company was the ONLY ONE that was able to supply you with the parts you needed.
The ONE PART out of the many/many/many you ordered was not billed to you.
Now we see you badmouthing us at every instance. Thank you very much for your kind words.....

If ANYONE has any problems, CALL US! 530-622-8265 8-5 pst.

Thank you,
Matt

REVIEWS: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/good-bad-reviews-chicompany-com-153437/
PS: we recieve over 100 emails A DAY. Admittedly we need faster email response, SO PLEASE CALL US.

Just placed an order earlier this week from CHI and everything arrived today in great shape. Thanks CHI, now to start my keezer build. :)

Matt, most of us that are wise know to take these comments with a grain of salt. As on every forum, even the Audio/Video forums I frequent, there are many trolls that like to bash companies with no factual basis. There is always 2 sides to every story and usually the complainer is usually the mole.

Thank you, you are correct. BUT...when people read one side and then state they won't frequent a business based on a comment, as shown above, "it aint good".

Matt, most of us that are wise know to take these comments with a grain of salt. As on every forum, even the Audio/Video forums I frequent, there are many trolls that like to bash companies with no factual basis. There is always 2 sides to every story and usually the complainer is usually the mole.

No one should buy or not buy based on what I said. I had a bad experience and the company never chose to amend with even a phone call. Why did I have to go thru AMEX Matt? That's so lame?

If no one can see it, I didn't start the thread. I just reported on my experience. The thread was called "where are my parts?" for god's sake.

You really should have just called Matt. I'm pretty good with a "sorry, I botched your order".

You should realize that I have in fact heralded your company in the past based on the products you carry. I talked about several things in posts regarding your conicals that you're coming out with and that they're pressurizeable. Look back in my history.

It was just the experience I had was not satisfactory... or at least, not business friendly.

I can definitely say that it is an anomaly that someone who owns a company the size of CHI like you answers the phone as much as you do (which is admittedly a lot). You just don't follow thru. That's the only thing that needs changing.

Matt,

arrived tonight the parts you sent me all o.k. thanks.
It was the customs\postal sevice here that kept them so long, as I saw from the postmark they were sent out promplty.
I was a bit confused by the 'processing\processed\ pending status that accompanied the electronic updates, the latter I understood as still waiting to be despatched.
Usually your stuff arrives here in about 14 days, I don't why this time it took so long, I thought there may have been a problem with the order and after trying to reach you by email decided to post this thread.
Well anyway, I'm happy now I've got my parts I didn't mean it to be a slanging match for all and sundry, maybe I should have waited a few more days and maybe you could have emailed me saying they were sent out .
maybe its the case when there shipped out to places like brazil you could put a note saying allow thirty days or so for delivery something like that.
Ian

I've ordered from chicompany.net a couple or three times, and each time I was satisfied with the speediness of delivery and communication. Great products and shipped properly.

...Just gotta give a bump of positive to this thread :)

You are quite welcome. We are glad order order arrived OK. We knew it would get there.

The CHI Company is one of the only companies (based on customer statements, etc.) that does ship Internationally. We have shipped to every continent except Antartica (we almost had an order for there with the USCG but it went to a U.S. central processing facility instead...RATS!)
We have found that orders from Brazil have increased significantly over the last couple of months. THANK YOU!

RE: Manpower/email response time/"customer service: What many do not realize is that it takes EMPLOYEES to do everything that a modern consumer "expects". Customer service & employees COST MONEY..........LOTS OF MONEY.
Honestly, the economy stinks (do I really need to say that?) 4 hours ago I had to lay off one employee because of it. That means the remaining employees at the CHI Company will just have to work that much harder. I myself wake up at 6am, get to work at 7:30am, work to 7 or 8 pm THEN leave for home....and there is still more to do. (right now it is 6:15pm on a Friday night).

Now what's the fix? Raise prices? to pay for more employess.
Look at places like More Beer. It's like they have "Beverly Hills" prices.
Look at other shops.... $3+++ for dry yeasts! $2.99 /oz of hops! $10 for quick disconnect fittings... Go figure...

Our business model:
We try to make every item the lowest cost item relative to other online shops. We are a parts supplier. To keep prices low we ship from over 30 different manufacturers and warehouse locations in the U.S. This means we do not have to stock $250,000 worth of parts that COST MONEY sitting there. Customers order parts/goods/ingredients that they know they want/need. This sometimes means that a shipment will not leave another location for up to 2 days. For items located here, we pride ourselves in the fact that over 95% of orders are processed and shipped same or next day out the door.

We generally do not give advice on the how, what, when of the customers systems/setups. If a customer has a specific question we help out as much as possible, otherwise it is up to customer to review the parts available, "Map out" their system if needed and order the parts. If we were to try guessing the parts needed and they are incorrect as per the users intention then we are "upside down": Part profit might be 30cents and it costs us $4.95 to ship what the customer now KNOWS that he needs. One example has been posted above; after several phone calls trying to describe what he wanted to do, we told him to "map it out" so WE could visualize what he was trying to do THEN match the correct parts needed..and this is exactly what the customer did. Once we saw what he needed through a spreadsheet of parts, we were able to fulfill 99% of the order. Total time on that order: 1 hour of verifying parts.

Now TO ALL RE shipping with USPS:
Unlike UPS, many Priority Mail shipments using the Small Flat Rate Boxes do NOT have step by step tracking. There is only Shipment initiation notice and delivery confirmation. Sometimes we can not tell a customer WHERE it is exactly; and that is frustrating because the valued customer thinks we have not done our job! On higher cost shipments using MEDIUM or LARGE Flat Rate boxes, there IS step by step tracking.

I hope this helps,
Matt

PS: (sales pitch time) Did I mention that this weekend we are selling ALL 1/2Lb. packages of hops for only 80c/oz.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/weekend-hop-sale-all-1-2-hops-80c-oz-183057/

We are transitioning from being -only- a parts supplier to also selling ingredients. Did you know that we now have Hops at good prices, dry yeast at GREAT prices and soon we will have grain at SUPER low prices?
http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=261&zenid=11d677aa8e710c3f000c9e1a52748aaa

In this, I TOTALLY AGREE. Know of any good people to hire?

We are at a sticking point:
To small to have on staff -more-: I.T.(website), Receptionist, warehouse guys, Online service (sites like HBT, forums, etc)
To big to: not have more of the above.

Matt

I can definitely say that it is an anomaly that someone who owns a company the size of CHI like you answers the phone as much as you do (which is admittedly a lot). You just don't follow thru. That's the only thing that needs changing.

I am going to defend Matt Chitiea (hope I spelled it right). I ordered one of his low priced freezer conversion bulbs and was unhappy with it. I contacted him through email AND WITHOUT ME EVEN ASKING Matt sent me a replacement conversion bulb with a return prepaid shipping box. I was impressed to say the least.

The replacement unit worked flawlessly until it began to give me issues. I contacted Matt again and he AGAIN sent me a replacement unit, but this time a MORE EXPENSIVE johnson controls unit and a prepaid replacement box to send back the defective unit.

In my opinion that was the EPITOME of customer service.

Let's not start a witchhunt on this guy until it is proven he is not a vendor worth buying from.

Joe

I placed an order on the 9th and I received a partial shipment today. Used the Contact Us button on the CHI site to ask about the remaining items and received a reply within hours. I can't complain about that kind of service. Assuming the remaining parts come in a reasonable time I'd definitely go with them again. It also helps that they ship USPS so I don't get hit with outrageous brokerage fees by UPS, FedEx, etc.

I own a pico brewery in Alabama and have ordered a couple of times from The Chico co. and had great experiences both times.
Just recently, I bought a carbonator keg lid with stone from them for our homebrew club, and when it arrived, it was missing the 1/4" swivel connector from the bag. I sent an email and within a few days, I got the part, no problem.
I have dealt with several poorly run businesses in this line of work and I can say that from my experience, they are as good as they get.
thanks again for my customer service,
Derrell Winowich
Chattahoochee Brewing Co.

Back