Hex nut on shanks keeps loosening - ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasJ

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I had this question in my Keezer build thread but not everyone will see it... so I'm moving the question here.

How in the hell do I get the faucet/shank from turning which keeps loosening the hex nut?! I've tightened the hex down until the plastic front thing was starting to compress...

1 slight turn of the faucet via the tap handle and the hex starts to loosen itself... this is driving me crazy because I need to remove the beer line elbows and all to get to the hex to tighten it back up.

any ideas out there?

I'm not familiar with keezers or taps, so maybe this is in left field, but can you put a lock washer between the hex nut and whatever surface it's screwing against?

I had this question in my Keezer build thread but not everyone will see it... so I'm moving the question here.

How in the hell do I get the faucet/shank from turning which keeps loosening the hex nut?! I've tightened the hex down until the plastic front thing was starting to compress...

1 slight turn of the faucet via the tap handle and the hex starts to loosen itself... this is driving me crazy because I need to remove the beer line elbows and all to get to the hex to tighten it back up.

any ideas out there?

Put a lock nut on it.

Thought maybe there was some sort of trick to it I was missing.

they sell hex nuts with shanks, not lock nuts or washers...

I was going to suggest locktite, but apparently it eats plastic, so not a good solution. What about a rubber washer between the backing nut and the mounting surface. This would cause friction that would prevent the faucet from rotating and loosening the backing nut.

I was going to suggest locktite, but apparently it eats plastic, so not a good solution. What about a rubber washer between the backing nut and the mounting surface. This would cause friction that would prevent the faucet from rotating and loosening the backing nut.

rubber washer or a big ass o-ring might just do it. The hex nut is tightening against plywood, so I bet that would firm up the pressure

You can get any dam thing anyone can imagine from http://www.mcmaster.com/#. Just put a lock nut on it, or quit twisting it when you draw.:)

holy hell that place has everything! I don't mean to twist ... it really is a slight bump to turn & when I have to straighten the faucet out the hex turns with it!

If the rubber ring doesn't work then a lock nut it is. Or both.

thx guys

Back