HERMS Coil Shape

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanhope

Reaction score
Has there ever been any effort spent trying to determine the optimal shape for a HERMS coil. I assume most people of tight tall coils because they have re-purposed immersion chillers. If you could have a HERMS coil custom bent for you what would be the optimal shape. For me, my HERMS coil is going to be installed in an electric HLT so I want to use the minimal amount of water necessary to cover the element and coil. Seems like some sort of flat spiral (like an electric stove heating element) would be the best shape to minimize height. Is a tall skinny coil more efficient than a short and wide coil? Thoughts?

Why are you trying to minimize the amount of sparge water in your HLT?

Anyway, many people use a recirc pump or some kind of stirring paddle to get even temps over their HERMS coil. if you do this, it shouldn't matter what your layout is.

I want to minimize water in the eHLT/eHERMS because its going to be powered by a fairly weak heating element (at least for the near future). Heating more water than needed will take long and/or be impossible.

Back