HERMS Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Herms Coil Size

• 3/8" x 20 feet

• 3/8" x 50 feet

• 1/2" x 20 feet

Results are only viewable after voting.

SAMPLER

Reaction score
Looking to rebuild my HERMS (on a limited budget). What to pick up for copper coil? 3/8 OD or 1/2" OD. 20 feet or 50 feet?

What size batch you talkin'? I figure that would make a big difference with the potential of 10lbs of grist vs 40

The largest grain bill I have used was 28 pounds. On average 18-22 pounds for a 10 gallon batch.

I don't know what I'm talking about, just trying to get info so others can help.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Also, I think everyone needs 10 gallons of barley wine on hand at all times but that's just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What size batch you talkin'? I figure that would make a big difference with the potential of 10lbs of grist vs 40

IMO for the homebrew scale what it comes down to is how much temp loss there is in the system. Assuming you dough in near your mash temp, maintaining shouldn't require much input through the HEX. For step mashing you need a more efficient HEX (longer HERMS coil). Like everything else with this hobby it comes down to your process.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm planning on building a Herms coil with 50' for 1/2 tubbing. I have read that most people use at least 30 ft of tubing for the coil and I have seen a lot for sale that are 50ft.

I don't plan on step mashing much but if I do I would expect some difficulties with the shorter coil. Under my HLT I also have a propane burner for preheating the strike water and for back up in case the my element fails to maintain heat needed for the HERMS process. I will also be controlling the flow through the HERMS both at the pump and at the output of the HERMS to help increase temp control during the mash process.

Latest posts

Back