Herb/hop ball question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdbrett

Reaction score
I got an herb ball at my lhbs. I brewed today. With a half batch, I had to additions of .5 oz of hops at different times. I used the herb ball for both. When it was time for the 2nd addition, I pulled the ball and added my new addition to what was in the ball. Wen I was all done and opened to clean.....it was completely full. A big round ball of hops. My question is, is this a good way to do it? Do all the flavor in the hops come out when doing this? Kept my wort more clear.

I got an herb ball at my lhbs. I brewed today. With a half batch, I had to additions of .5 oz of hops at different times. I used the herb ball for both. When it was time for the 2nd addition, I pulled the ball and added my new addition to what was in the ball. Wen I was all done and opened to clean.....it was completely full. A big round ball of hops. My question is, is this a good way to do it? Do all the flavor in the hops come out when doing this? Kept my wort more clear.

No. You need to get more balls (sorry for the way that came out! :drunk:). In order get to get the most out of the hops they need to be loose in the bag or ball. Packing them in means that they aren't in full contact with the wort, and you will lose hops utilization (bitterness), flavor and aroma.

Those tea balls are great, and I use them. But the max that the large hold well is about .5 ounce.

Thx. Where you get the tea balls? Lhbs? Walmart?
Always knew I'd need more balls.

Thx. Where you get the tea balls? Lhbs? Walmart?
Always knew I'd need more balls.

I can't remember where I got mine. Just make sure they are ALL stainless, even that chain.

I often use a "hops spider" in my boil kettle when I have a lot of additions- that way I can just drop them in and not open/add bags or those balls.

I use the tea balls in my keg with great results, and use it mostly that way instead of in the boil.

Hey,

I too experimented with the herb balls. I noticed that I was not getting full hop utlization because when I opened the ball up the outer half inch was slightly brown (had contact with water) but the center few inches were still green. I tried using several balls as well but really did not the circulation. Some homebrewer's may have good luck with them but I moved on to make a rudimentary "hop spider."

I went and bought a PVC reduce coupling (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Mueller-...ducing-Coupling-05949H/100132119#.Uf76Usu9KK0), a stainless steel threaded rod and paint strainers (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Trimaco-...rawstring-2-Pack-30238/203704596#.Uf77Pcu9KK0). The strainers are like $5 for two 5-gallon strainers. I drilled through the narrow end of the coupler and put the rod through. Then used a rubber band to hold the bag onto the larger end. I then set this on my kettle during the boil. But have some bottles on the handles of the kettle to lift it up out of the wort. The PVC will warp if it is in the water and add that nasty plastic taste.

Bottom line is I get full circulation and hop utilization. You just add the hop pellets through the hole of the coupler, right into the boil. when you're finished just lift it out and let the remaining water strain out. All the hops are spent! I have used each bag about 3 times but they are cheap enough to buy again if anything happens to them. The herb balls may work for some but this works much better for me. And instead of spending on several balls for several additions the up front cost is really not much.

I can add pics if you need them.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Back