Hemocytometer yeast calc help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Browningbuck

Reaction score
Hey guys so I'm hoping for a little help on the quantity of cells I have in my starter?
I'm at 91 cells in a 4x4 grid including cell touching left and bottom lines. I used a dilution factor of 6 and have 13250 ml of unfloculated starter (nothing sitting on the bottom for the sample)

I'm hoping for 2800 B cells in the starter.... Did I make it?!? If not Tomorrow won't be a brew day :(

Also I'm hoping for an explanation on the calc not just an answer. Thanks everyone!

Hey guys so I'm hoping for a little help on the quantity of cells I have in my starter?
I'm at 91 cells in a 4x4 grid including cell touching left and bottom lines. I used a dilution factor of 6 and have 13250 ml of unfloculated starter (nothing sitting on the bottom for the sample)

I'm hoping for 2800 B cells in the starter.... Did I make it?!? If not Tomorrow won't be a brew day :(

Also I'm hoping for an explanation on the calc not just an answer. Thanks everyone!

PM me an email address if you want an Excel spreadsheet I made to help you covert cells/hemocytometer square to cells per liter, etc.

Looks like the following (anybody wants this, shoot me a PM).

yeastss.jpg

Will do, but could you help me out for just today(I'm going to sound crazy here) I don't have internet at home only my phone. I'd have to down load the file at work to bring it home.

Will do, but could you help me out for just today(I'm going to sound crazy here) I don't have internet at home only my phone. I'd have to down load the file at work to bring it home.

Close? I calculate 1800B cells total. Where did you come up with 2800B?

Do you really have a 13 liter starter with a homogeneous mixture of cells as you describe?

How much beer are you making? I assumed 5 gallons of beer, but maybe that's not a good assumption? Some of the cells there won't make sense with the 5g number in there.

yeastss2.jpg

Last edited:
Yes we have 3.5 gal in a 6 gal carboy. Was suppose to be for two back to back big Belgian brew days tomorrow each needing 1400 b sooo looks like one brew and not back to back

Also yes stir plate is keeping the 3.5 gal homogeneous

So I'll do a brew day after this one and just drop the new brew on this yeast cake

Yes we have 3.5 gal in a 6 gal carboy. Was suppose to be for two back to back big Belgian brew days tomorrow each needing 1400 b sooo looks like one brew and not back to back

Also yes stir plate is keeping the 3.5 gal homogeneous

With a belgian beer I'd go for it. Stressing yeast is not a problem with those beers (I don't think). They are probably the only beers (and maybe hefeweisen's) that I'd suggest that low pitch count is OK. You might have a slow start though.

And really, that pitch count is not that bad. I've started with less :eek:

Ohhh, ok I don't know how to do that with out introducing bad? I do have 2lb of home made candy it's kinda hard (intended to be in the boil to soften and dissolve) but I get what you are saying and like the idea for keeping the hot flavors at bay. How do you do it?

Wait till fermentation is nearly finished (i.e., a week). Then just toss the sugar in there. That's what I've done. Crystaline sugar contains no water, so you're unlikely to find much bacteria on it. Powdered sugar is 9% water, so you'd want to boil that.

If you're concerned at all, just boil it with enough water (cup) to get it into a thick solution, then cool it and dump in the fermentor.

Latest posts

Back