Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moe.ron86

Reaction score
I brewed yesterday a Belgian Dubbel (first time) and I'm not sure if I messed it up, here's the abridged verson.

Mashed at 150* but it dropped down to 142* when I stirred the grains so I added hot water to bring it back up to 150*. I let it mash for 75 minutes total to make up for the lost heat.
Tried to raise the temp to 170* to mash out but ran out of room in the mash cooler, ended up at 160*.
Grains clogged the mesh net so blew the clog out but kept getting clogged so I scooped it out. Ended up with about 8 gallons (mash water, heat water and mashout water)
Boiled for about an 50 minutes then started my 60 minute boil, OG should have been 1.069 but ended up with 1.062.
Ended with a bunch of trub and I added 1/2 gallon of water to reach 5 gallons.
Pitched WLP-530 around 70* around 530pm.

15 hours later no fermentation at all and showing no signs, bubbles or Krausen forming, so I sanitized a bucket and dumped wort in bucket and back in fermentor and got lots of oxygen. Figured that would have been okay since the yeast was not active, hoping it'll help.

Should I get more yeast and throw it in or wait until maybe tonight for any activity, THEN pitch new yeast if no activity?

Thanks guys.

Did you make a starter? What was the date on the yeast. Do you know your starting gravity or just that it was 1.062 before you diluted it? Any yeast nutrient (I always add when using liquid yeast)?
I would just wait it out, I wait at least 24 hours before taking any action. There isn't a lot of outward signs when the yeast is in reproduction mode. Ideally you do that in your starter so the yeast can hit the ground running when you pitch it. Yeast nutrient can help too, it's included in dry yeast.
If you make a starter and it doesn't take off, then you know you have to get fresh yeast before pitching into your large batch.

RDWHAHB

Mashed at 150* but it dropped down to 142* when I stirred the grains so I added hot water to bring it back up to 150*. I let it mash for 75 minutes total to make up for the lost heat.
Not ideal, but it will make beer - no serious issues yet
Tried to raise the temp to 170* to mash out but ran out of room in the mash cooler, ended up at 160*.
Grains clogged the mesh net so blew the clog out but kept getting clogged so I scooped it out. Ended up with about 8 gallons (mash water, heat water and mashout water)
The 170F mashout step extracts a really minor amount of sugar but it's main purpose is to lock in some unfermentable dextrines by raising the temp and denaturing the enzymes. What you did here shouldn't cause problems with your beer. Just keep in mind that if your goal is a very fermentable wort, it won't hurt to skip this step and save you some headache.
Boiled for about an 50 minutes then started my 60 minute boil, OG should have been 1.069 but ended up with 1.062.
Ended with a bunch of trub and I added 1/2 gallon of water to reach 5 gallons.
Pitched WLP-530 around 70* around 530pm.
The extended boil is fine. The 7 points of gravity is fine. Pitching liquid yeast without a starter makes me cringe.
15 hours later no fermentation at all and showing no signs, bubbles or Krausen forming, so I sanitized a bucket and dumped wort in bucket and back in fermentor and got lots of oxygen. Figured that would have been okay since the yeast was not active, hoping it'll help.
There used to be a sticky here with some really good advice about letting the yeast do it's thing for 72 hours before you start freaking out.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/fermentation-can-take-24-to-72-hrs-to-show-visible-signs.43635/
Should I get more yeast and throw it in or wait until maybe tonight for any activity, THEN pitch new yeast if no activity?
If you can get some more WLP-530 and put it on a stir plate, I'd consider pitching it after 36 hours just because there is a small chance that the original yeast was DOA. If you don't need it, put it in your fridge and save it for another day.

Last edited:
Did you make a starter? What was the date on the yeast. Do you know your starting gravity or just that it was 1.062 before you diluted it? Any yeast nutrient (I always add when using liquid yeast)?
I would just wait it out, I wait at least 24 hours before taking any action. There isn't a lot of outward signs when the yeast is in reproduction mode. Ideally you do that in your starter so the yeast can hit the ground running when you pitch it. Yeast nutrient can help too, it's included in dry yeast.
If you make a starter and it doesn't take off, then you know you have to get fresh yeast before pitching into your large batch.

RDWHAHB

I ordered WLP530 last week but it died in transit as it was over 90 here in Central Virginia and it's at least 10-15 hotter in the UPS truck. I made that into a starter to see if it was usable but it was a dud. I bought a backup on Saturday, which is what I ended up using on my Sunday brewday.
The yeast I used for the beer had an exp. of 10/12/20.
Yes, I used yeast nutrient.

Since I dumped the wort into a bucket then back into the fermentor, did I mess it up or was that okay? I know oxygen is good but that's before yeast is active in fermentation however, in my case where wasn't. So I assume it would help get it started. Should I have not done that?

Not ideal, but it will make beer - no serious issues yet

The 170F mashout step extracts a really minor amount of sugar but it's main purpose is to lock in some unfermentable dextrines but raising the temp and denaturing the enzymes. What you did here shouldn't cause problems with your beer. Just keep in mind that if your goal is a very fermentable wort, it won't hurt to skip this step and save you some headache.

The extended boil is fine. The 7 points of gravity is fine. Pitching liquid yeast without a starter makes me cringe.

There used to be a sticky here with some really good advice about letting the yeast do it's thing for 72 hours before you start freaking out.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/fermentation-can-take-24-to-72-hrs-to-show-visible-signs.43635/
If you can get some more WLP-530 and put it on a stir plate, I'd consider pitching it after 36 hours just because there is a small chance that the original yeast was DOA. If you don't need it, put it in your fridge and save it for another day.

I only have 2 LHBS in my area, 1 is out of stock and waiting for his delivery is this week and the other doesn't sell liquid yeast, only dry. I bought 2 packets of Safbrew S-33. If I don't see any activity by tonight, I might pitch these 2 packets combined, Yay or nay?

Latest posts

Back