Help!!!!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgarino

Reaction score
I was doing some water testing on my new HERMS build and noticed a leak.... I noticed that I can not thread one of my compression fitting into the coupler. The coupler is welded into the kettle. I think the threads in the coupler are messed up.. I can only get a few turns and then it stops. I have used thread tape and still leaks. Is there anything I can do.. Really would like to break in the new brewery this weekend. Thanks in advance for any help or guidance...

Have any small o-rings? A lot of folks couple hexes, sight glasses, etc using silicone o-rings instead of metal ferrules...

Cheers!

Was thinking about trying to retap it.. Anyone know the size or thread tip. It an 1/2" male/female coupler from BrewersHardware.

Compression fitting and npt pipe thread are slightly different in size. I had the same issue and found that you can actually get an adaptor fitting that will go from 1/2" compression fitting to 1/2" npt thread. Not sure where you located but Ontario beer kegs.com should have them or brewers hardware. Good luck.

Cheers

SS threads can easily get jacked up. You can run a tap through it to clean up the threads; standard 1/2" pipe tap. Work it in slowly; you don't want to cut new threads you just want to clean out the burs.
Alternatively you can use double thick Teflon tap, the yellow kind for gas pipe. It may give you a tight enough seal to brew.

Also, make sure you are not mixing fittings; NPS and NPT fittings will thread on but not get tight.

Which threads are in your kettle Pipe or Compression. Pipe threads are tapered and compression are strait. They will not interchange. There was a really good article I think on here that I read that showed the difference. I tried to find it and couldn't

Or the real thick peach colored teflon tape we use in the chemical plant!

Did I mention it's super thick

image.jpg

Back