Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coypoo

Reaction score
So, I bought some kegs from a vendor here in town. He told me they had been cleaned and only needed to sanitized before use. It was stupid of me to listen and not clean them myself, but what's done is done.

Now, I just took a sample from the keg that has been sitting in my garage for a week (not on gas, but pressure sealed) and it tastes like some weird soapy flavor. Can I just push it with 1-2 psi into a properly cleaned keg and be good to go? It's an American brown so if it gets a baby bit of oxygen exposure it wouldn't be the end of the world because we'll probably finish it in 4-5 weeks. Any other ideas? Thanks

Can't say if the flavor will go away. But no fear of oxygenating the beer. Just fill the new, clean keg with CO2 first. Than push from the out on the one keg to the out post of the other. Keep burping the new keg to release pressure. Voila.

Hammy71 said:
Can't say if the flavor will go away. But no fear of oxygenating the beer. Just fill the new, clean keg with CO2 first. Than push from the out on the one keg to the out post of the other. Keep burping the new keg to release pressure. Voila.

Been talking with SWMBO and we're worrie about the flavor just being in there too. May have to dump it.....fml

Dump it, that's alcohol abuse....
Seriously though, weird soapy flavor... could be soap, could be infected. If the flaavor gets stronger it's probable infected. When in doubt, test it first before exposing it to a bunch of folk.

It's not an infection. I have an empty keg from the vendor that hasn't been used yet. I opened it up and smelled it and it smells just like the off flavors in the recently kegged beers. Medicinally, soapy-ish. Not good.

So you didn't atleast rinse it before sanitizing? I mean I know he said he cleaned them, so that's not like he lied if you smell some kind of cleaning agen. If he had cleaned them, then he may not have rinsed completely or left it like that for the cleaner to keep working. I always rinse before sanitizing , even if I sanitize them a month before. Not sure what I would do, however if the spare tank smells of cleaner, I think I would dump. But that's me.

JesseRC said:
So you didn't atleast rinse it before sanitizing? I mean I know he said he cleaned them, so that's not like he lied if you smell some kind of cleaning agen. If he had cleaned them, then he may not have rinsed completely or left it like that for the cleaner to keep working. I always rinse before sanitizing , even if I sanitize them a month before. Not sure what I would do, however if the spare tank smells of cleaner, I think I would dump. But that's me.

Exactly. Dumb as rocks.

They were dumped. I died a little bit inside

Something else you want to do is make sure your run clean water/sanitizer through the in/out post. Sometimes rinsing doesnt always get the cleaner out of there. Goodluck , sorry to hear about the dump.

JesseRC said:
Something else you want to do is make sure your run clean water/sanitizer through the in/out post. Sometimes rinsing doesnt always get the cleaner out of there. Goodluck , sorry to hear about the dump.

I feel like I did everything else right. I used starsan and then hooked it up to the gas to run it through the dip tube. Just needed a god clean before. Oh well.

please tell me you pulled more than a couple pints to confirm there was an issue.... you might well have just sucked starsan in the first pint... i've done that plenty of times and been like "Damn this beer sucks...its watery and has an off flavor" but two pints later it was fine.

Anyway, lesson learned either way, right? ALWAYS clean and sanitize your equipment.

paparker21 said:
please tell me you pulled more than a couple pints to confirm there was an issue.... you might well have just sucked starsan in the first pint... i've done that plenty of times and been like "Damn this beer sucks...its watery and has an off flavor" but two pints later it was fine.

Anyway, lesson learned either way, right? ALWAYS clean and sanitize your equipment.

It was multiple pulls.....

Lesson learned indeed. SWMBO is a baller though and is letting me brew both again tomorrow afternoon

Brewing is always fun right Dan. 7 hours felt like only 2 or 3 enjoying some good beer and BBQ. Coypoon enjoy your new brew day.

Yep sure was Steve. I still have one empty fermenter left and enough grain and hops for a 5 g batch. So it looks like more brewing next weekend! You're always welcome to come over.

Back