Help! Wort Chiller failed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akpingel

Reaction score
My wort chiller has sprung a leak and failed and I dont know what to do. I dont have any ice in the house except the little that is in the maker. Right now I have the wort in the freezer, but it doesn't seem to be dropping temp much. I think it will be fine in the freezer to cool slowly, because there shouldnt be any bacteria in there but I dont know.

Any suggestions?

Depending on how much tap water got into the wort I'd probably boil it some more. While that's happening I'd solder the leak or go buy some ice.

Personally I'd just go to the closest gas station and get bag of ice. It should be fine in the freezer though, as long as you don't forget about it. I just wouldn't put a cover on it until it cools substantially because of DMS.

Sounds like a good solution to me. It will just take a little while. You must have a huge freezer, I feel a little freezer envy coming on :)

RDWHAHB. you don't 100% need a cold break which is what your trying to get by rapid cooling. if you don't care about clarity then just let it cool naturally with the lid on. also there is most likely dormant bacteria and/or mold in your freezer. just keep the lid on the pot and you will be fine.

I have to ask... what time did you brew this morning? It is 10:56 CST and if you are in Oregon it must have been early!

Thanks everyone. I realized I needed to RDWHAHB right after posting :) I ran out, got some ice, and everything seems to be under control. :mug:

next time just put pot in bathtub with cold water. 20 mins later, change water. 20 more mins and you should be in the 70's. I cool 5 gallons like this all the time. since theres so much water in the tub you dont have to change it very much.

Back