Help with yeast for a sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leukass

Reaction score
Hello- so I am working on my second sour using gigayeast lacto. I left the lacto on longer than I should and not quite vinegar, but pretty strong sour. So I was brewing another batch this weekend and I added 1-1/2 gallons of wort to the lacto wort and boiled them together for about 20 minutes to kill off the lacto. I cooled and than put this wort in a carboy with raspberry purée. I added WLP001 and it has been 4 days and nothing. Could the acid have killed the yeast?

Is there another clean yeast I can add to ferment out the additional sugar from the 1-1/2 gallons of wort and raspberries?

Thanks.

Have you checked the gravity? I had the same thing happen with my first sour where I saw zero activity for a week, then I took a gravity sample just in case and it was down to 1.008. Not sure what happened exactly but it was with WLP001, so worth checking if it's attenuating at the very least

Well - I totally forgot to check gravity when I put it in the carboy for starting gravity. can check it tonight. But I got zero bubbles in airlock and no Krausen.

Anyone have any thoughts on a yeast to try to finish the ferment?

How much 001 did you pitch? Did you use a starter. You really need a big healthy pitch going into this environment. Do you know what the PH is? Did you use o2?

Some things I would try:

If you didn't pitch an over sized starter, you could could have simply under pitched
3711 and Sacc Trois yeast has been recommended to be pretty acid tolerant.
You could make a starter and include some of the soured wort in the starter. (Acid Shock Starter)

So you made a first batch with lacto - how long ago was that? Did you kill off the lacto? Do you have a pH meter? How much (volume) of the lacto batch did you add the gallon of fresh wort to?

My first thought (without knowing details of your process) is that if you let that first batch go without killing the lacto, it has way too much lactic acid for sacc to work. You might have to go the other route and add a little of the sour to the bulk of a fresh batch. I'm unsure if acid kills the yeast, or if they just don't operate in acidic conditions. Either way, adding/using more of the fresh, non-acidified wort is the way to go.

I picked up up a ph meter and sach trois the LHBS tonight. Sach trois is a clean yeast- right? I don’t need to boil after
Using this before putting in my kegorator? I want to keep my lines clean

If you mean clean yeast as in neutral taste - Trois is not the yeast you want.
If you mean clean as in no souring or funky yeast - Then yes, Trois is clean.

Sour wort is hostile for regular yeast. When I pitch into a sour like this, I'll use 2 to 4 times the recommended amount. This is a time when having a fresh cake to pitch onto is useful.

If using the Trois, make sure you make a big starter.

Lactobacillus produces lactic acid which is fairly mild. It does not produce acetic acid (vinegar). If your wort tastes like vinegar, you likely got an infection, and acetobacter worked on he alcohol that the Lacto produced. I suspect it was just more sour than you expected, and ot probably is not acetic acid. The tastes are very different.

Heterofermentative Lacto produces 1 part acid + 1 part alcohol + CO2

Homofermentative Lacto produces 2 parts acid (and no alcohol).

Talking aboutsour beers, I think I'll have a Gose!

Back