Help with WLP800. Slow fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonFromBrazil

Reaction score
Hey guys,

4 days ago I brewed a BohPils using WLP800 (it was my very first time using a liquid yeast), the OG was 1.053 and now the gravity is 1.047. Is it stuck or it's only a slow fermentation?

Some facts:
- I did a 1.6l/54oz starter using 2 vials in 2 steps (24h and them more 12h) at room temp (~25C/77F) using a stir plate.
- Pitched at 6C/42F them slowly increased temp to 10C/50F in 48h and maintained that temp since.
- I did 2 steps mash (10min at 50C/122F, 60min at 67C/152F and mash out). 90min boil.

What i did wrong? Should I repitch some dry yeast or wait a bit more?

Is this your first lager? Lager yeast takes longer to kick in to gear and also you will not get a large krausen on top like you do with ales as lager yeast is bottom fermenting.

You also need a lot more yeast with lagers and looks like where you did a step up with 2 vials, you may be ok, unless the vials were real old. Whatever date is on a White Labs vial, you need to subtract 4 months to get it's "born on" date to determine viability.

I would give it a week and check your gravity then, if it's still in the 1.040's, then it is probably stuck and needs more yeast. If it continues to drop, then just let it go.

Back