Help with Wildflower Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ModernDayNord

Reaction score
I have no experience using honey in my beer, and am therefore open to any suggestion from those who have. I have a vision for a braggot with wildflower honey. I was thinking restrained late hop character to allow the wildflower aroma to come through, and using honey malt to add back in some of the sweetness lost to the dry fermentation of honey.

Anyone have suggestions/recommendations? Haven't decided on a base malt (Maris Otter?), caramel malts, hop variety (low alpha bittering probably), or yeast...

I brewed a braggot earlier this year. What I did was to make/brew the mead using White Labs champaign yeast. While that was fermenting ( 3 months) I brewed a beer to compliment the mead. I mixed the two and added spices at bottling time. I should've added the spices to the brew kettle when I brewed the beer. Anyway if you are going to use wildflower honey make a very light beer or you will need to favor the mead when mixing. I used buckwheat honey for the mead. Once I knew the flavor profile it was easier to come up with a beer recipe. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kev

Back