help with water report.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
So I got a report from ward labs for my home town of indianapolis

Ca 86.0 Mg 26.0 Na 75.0 SO4 42.0 CL 65.0 and HCO3 305.00

What beers is this suited for and what corrections would be needed on a basic level as I go forth.

I like the excel spreadsheet that the saq put together. There are many water calc's out there (beer smith, water witch, Palmers Mash RA)

Sections in red need to be filled out. Green are your answers. Use as little salt additions as possible (in red). Keep in mind you can dilute your inherent (tap) water with some RO or Distilled Water as needed. Pay attention to mash ph and the SO4:CL ratios.

www.thesaq.net/beer/waterprofile/

Prost!

So I got a report from ward labs for my home town of indianapolis

Ca 86.0 Mg 26.0 Na 75.0 SO4 42.0 CL 65.0 and HCO3 305.00

What beers is this suited for and what corrections would be needed on a basic level as I go forth.

Sorry to say, but none that I can think of or have ever brewed.

If you neutralize about half of your alkalinity, you could brew a fine imperial stout. (Though beer color is a very poor guide at best)

Neutralizing the alkalinity with acid will also add the anion of the acid used... lactate, chloride, sulfate, phosphate, etc. And depending on your taste, you may not want any more of any of those. (Though phosphoric acid is very flavor neutral)

I have similar water and have an RO unit mounted on the wall of the garage, just after the water softener.

After you dilute 9:1 with RO a few times, you'll realize it's silly to even mess with de-chlorinating a gallon or so of tap and mixing. At least I did.

Back