Help with ventilation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smellyglove

Reaction score
1.jpg

Currently I have this. It's mounted under a hood. I want to get rid of the hose. I have two plans, but I need help if plan#2 ("Plan #1" is btw a great song by norwegian band Motorpsycho, free goodie right there) will work.

#1. I'll cut off the whole "tip" of the funnel, the part the hose is attached to. I'll drop down a hanging (powerful) magnet from the "grid", down through the hole in the funnel. I'll get a bowl made in stainless steel between the formentioned magnet, and a second magnet which will be attached under the bowl, making the bowl hang. It will collect excess condensed steam and I will be able to easily disconnect the bowl and empty it

#2. I get rid of the funnel, and do as planned in #1, but just with one very wide bowl. You can see I've cut some openings in the funnel in the pic. These are cut where the funnel goes flat vertical, if I'd to this to a curved bowl it would drip back through the openings.

So the point behind this already to long post is: If I add a very wide bowl, the air has to travel around it, and into the fan, as opposed to now, where it's mainly just straight up through the openings in the funnel I've made. Will this "around" travel make the fan less efficient? Will more steam end up on the outside of the hood? Right now it just gets sucked straight up and it works flawlessly, except for the hose which I want to get rid of.

The easiest way to find an answer is to boil some water with a bowl above the kettle to see where the steam goes and whether it works.

Why do you need to catch the condensed steam in the first place? I'm assuming there's no way to vent outside from the fan?

Another option is to attach a hood to the kettle that transfers steam horizontally which then condenses into a bowl.

The easiest way to find an answer is to boil some water with a bowl above the kettle to see where the steam goes and whether it works.

Why do you need to catch the condensed steam in the first place? I'm assuming there's no way to vent outside from the fan?

Another option is to attach a hood to the kettle that transfers steam horizontally which then condenses into a bowl.

I Just feel like i need something nice to build, and it's dripping back from the hood. I don't worry that much about the dripping, but it's just "nice" to have it not drip back. I'm venting to the outside.

I'm no scientist and didn't get many answers here :D

So I'm just gonna go ahead and order the big bowl and the magnets. If the big bowl doesn't work I'll relocate it to the kitchen and make something which needs a big bowl.. and buy a second smaller bowl to go for plan #1.

Or wait, one question I have before ordering magnets. Is how much effect do I lose by putting a stainless bowl (i guesstimate 1mm thickness) between the magnets? Is it noticable?

The magnets I've found can hold 13 and 10 kg each (as the spec says), which is WAY more than I need, but how much does the stainless make the effect drop?

With the strength of those magnets and the thickness of the SS I bet it won't make a discernible difference in holding power...

Cheers!

Back