Help with vanilla beans

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadm817

Reaction score
I am using vanilla beans for a porter.

When I cut the vanilla into pieces and scrape out the insides what do I do with the insides???

Do I throw the insides away or do I use the chalky insides?

Throw the insides in, people say to scrape them to get more surface area and get all you can from the bean

I don't know much about using vanilla beans in beer. But i would say use the while thing, the inside is where all the flavor is. In cooking you generally scrape out the inside and use that and discard the rest.

I chop them scrape them then put them in a small jar and cover with an ounce of vodka cover the jar and let them sit for a few days then just dump the whole jar in to the beer. Works well for me

Ya'll, that's just way too much work. Slice your vanilla beans open lengthwise and drop the whole split beans into your beer. Good fresh vanilla beans split wide open will impart a ton of fresh vanilla flavor in a small batch of beer. I use two beans per 5 gallon batch in very high gravity stouts and the flavor comes out damn near perfect every time. Of course, the beans float in the primary for two weeks prior to bottling which may be a little long for some people but it works for me.

As I posted in your other thread,I scrape & chop two vanilla beans,put all back in the small jar they come in,& pour in about 1-1.5lzs of vodka & seal it up. I let it soak during primary fermentation,then strain into priming solution to add to the bottling bucket. Worked great in my robust porter.

Back