Help with used IC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBHoss

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This was given to me and I know it needs to be cleaned up but it's also big for standard 10 gallon batches, so, here's my thinking. I (a) patch the hole and use the whole thing or (b) cut it in half and make a pre chiller out of one half and use the other half for my IC.
Here is the unit:

IC6.JPG

IC5.JPG

IC4.JPG

IC3.JPG

IC2.JPG

What are your thoughts on this?

1) do you need a prechiller? In the summer y ground water is 85˚, so I need some sort of ice help. If so, then cut off some off and do it. It does not take nearly as much line as the IC, though, maybe 1/3 or less.
2) that thing is very tall but a lot of the height is from the loose coil. Use some copper wire to whip that thing into shape.
3) I would clean that by boiling it in a vinegar solution once you have it figured out.

What is the diameter?

Just guessing, it looks like about 75 feet of copper.

So 100 feet of copper tubing then.

The way it is built I'm just not sure how to go about splitting it. I was thinking I could use a 10 gallon Gott cooler as the pre-chiller and have the fittings sticking out of holes that will be drilled into the top and bottom sides of the cooler. It would be a large pre-chiller. Sure would cool down that wort fast though. :D

Just cut it at one of the splits.

I use a pre-chiller. I have 2 identical IC's. Once I'm down to about 100-120*F I put the pre-chiller into a 5 gal bucket of mostly ice and some water. 5 gals from boiling to 60*F in 15 mins.

Also, to fix the splits, I would just cut out the split portion and solder a new coupling in.

+1 Vinegar solution.

Back