Help with tubing for DIY tap system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miatawnt2b

Reaction score
I am building a tap/regulator system for my corny's, and I am wondering if the vinyl tubing you can pick up at Home Depot is safe for the connection between the regulator and the ball lock fitting and from the corny to the tap? I am guessing it would need to hold a max of 50 or so PSI for force carbing.

Thanks for the help,
-J

I don't think it will work. Beverage lines are marked as such, so I believe there is a difference. I also don't think the stuff at big box store is food grade.

It works fine. It is not ideal but works fine. Several years of experience here. No off flavors, no ruptures, an problems. Use the 3/16 for the dispence lines and the 1/4 braided for gas supply.

Ditto what Drunkensatyr says, thats the current setup I have. The 3/16" is the same ID as the "beverage line" you would pick up at LHBS, but its thinner walled. Although I have not had any trouble with the line with foaming, off tastes, etc. if you are carbing to higher volumes, you may need to increase your line length a little more than you would for beverage line, because it may have decreased resistance to the flow, IMHO. It is rated for 50psi, and what I found said it was rated for food use. So you should have no problems with this.

As for long term use, Ill let you know if my lines give way or anything:mug:

I would guess that one reason that typical "beverage line" tubing is thick-walled is to avoid bending or kinking, which could cause uneven dispensing and/or make the beer foam more.

If you avoid kinking it, I don't see any reason why using hardware-store tubing would be a problem at all.

Anyone happen to read the original message? ;) He's asking about gas tubing - between the regulator and the disconnect on the keg. For that, as long as the tubing is rated for the correct pressure, I'd say it's fine.

Actually, if you read the WHOLE post, he also says from the corny to the tap;)

Thanks guys. I thought it would be OK. I was just wondering about pressures... didn't want to explode a line... man that would make a mess. The braided line does sound like a great idea for both the gas and the dispensing lines since as mentioned they will never kink. Good stuff!
Thanks again
-J

Is "tap" really another name for "faucet"? I was under the impression the "tap" is really the connection to the keg itself like a "Sanke tap" which would technically make the corny disconnects the "taps" of this system. I have too much F'ing time on my hands.

Latest posts

Back