Help with thread size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Green

Reaction score
Hi All,
I wonder if someone can assist with the correct term for what I am looking for. I have a secondary regulator, Kegco LHU5S-3 and I want to run 8mm gas hose into the inlet.

I am in Japan and for the life of me, I cannot find any fitting that will screw into the inlet.

The 3 outlets are fine, just the inlet. (different size to inlet)

I tried all of the 1/4 inch fittings, none fit. Very close but dont fit. I suppose it is an American specific size and i would like to know the correct term to order online.

Attached are the pics of the hole and the item i would like to screw in. Ill also be in England this week so if they have them there i can pick up there also.

Thanks for any help

Attachments

• fitting.PNG
    fitting.PNG
    33.9 KB · Views: 39
  • hole.PNG
    hole.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 46
  • ke.PNG
    ke.PNG
    374.7 KB · Views: 38
exactly, feels like if i really push it will go it but obvously that would create issues.

Where do i find something to convert it to RH

Do they seem like the correct size but the threads won’t start?...I think some regulator inlet stems are left handed thread.

Good call on that. I hadn't realized it was the inlet (read through too fast). It is most likely left-handed. I think you're going to be stuck special ordering something or getting it direct from a homebrew shop.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'll see if i can get one shipped and if not ill go with the original barb and give up.

Thanks for all your help on the above. I had no luch with the part i needed but instead swapped everything out for barbs and thicker gas line.

Now that I have done that, can I ask another possibly stupid question.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I have the secondary hooked up now and it’s not smooth sailing.

The current status of the 3 regulators are

1st (nearest intake) – hooked up to keg, holding 12psi and serving fine

2nd – currently not connected and closed, either holding no pressure or very minimal, which I presume is normal

3rd – if I hook it up to a keg, open the valve, closed the valve, close the dial, open the dial. If I do any of these in any combination, the regulator holds about 20psi constantly. If I vent, it goes to zero, waits for 5 seconds and slowly climbs to 20psi.

I have taken it to pieces and found a broken washer, pic attached – but I swapped that for the 2nd regulator and no change. I have flushed at high pressure and will take it to pieces again tonight.

My questions are

1. Am I doing something wrong, anything else to do.
  2. If in fact its broken, I cannot return it and so if the 3rd regulator holds a steady 20+ psi, can I just use this one to carb. It was my plan all along, just worry about if this means it will leak co2
I guess i could try and see how long the gas lasts

Thanks for all your time, its invaluabe

Attachments

• was.PNG
    was.PNG
    83.6 KB · Views: 10
The part in your picture is an “E” clip that would snap into a groove on a shaft to keep it or something else on it secured in a certain position. It could possibly be found at a hardware or automotive store. Since you’re overseas, I’m not sure where to suggest looking. Without seeing the internal workings of your regulator, I’m not sure what purpose that piece serves. As far as your other problem regarding the pressures, I don’t fully understand the problem... the 3rd regulator’s pressure creeps up to and stops at 20 psi even with the center adjustment knob backed all the way off? What pressure are you supplying to this bank of regulators? If it’s 20 psi, I’d say there is a malfunction in the 3rd regulator and the supply pressure is passing straight through. (Just guessing here. Maybe somebody else might have a better answer)

on all the regulators the e clip just seems to sit on top of the spring not attached to anything. Ill open the 1st one tonight and see if that is the same.

You are correct, primary reg is set to 20 and even with the knob completely off, it creeps up to 20psi.

I think the answer here is trying to send it back.. which will be a lengthy pain.

If i return, i can choose a new model, any suggestions (any cost ok) on the best 3 way seconary, this one sucks.

Back