Help with the terragady 4.2 PCB and CraftBeerPi?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkhanso

Reaction score
Plymouth, MN - terrible tap water for brewing
Hello,
I've just put the components on the v4.2 PCB by terragady. I'm trying to get it to work with the temp sensor, but am having trouble.

I searched for instructions how to get this working but didn't find a 'how-to' type of document.

I have a 12v power supply on the PCB and it's also powering up the RasPi.

I'm wondering if I have the right voltages or if I'm just missing something about how to tell CraftBeerPi that the temp sensor is there.

I get 5.02v on the 5v test pin and 12.49 on the 12v test pin in the corner of the terragady board.

IMG_20170208_193940.jpg

On the 1-wire green connectors, I get 5.02 from ground to 5v. I get 4.96v from ground to data.

I'm not sure what else to test on the board for voltages.

In CraftBeerPi web interface, in the Hardware configuration and then the Temp Sensor - the dropdown only says PLS_SELECT. There are no options to choose an address/sensor.

tempsensorsetup.PNG

Not sure if this is a hardware problem, an operator error or something else.

FYI: One other thing...... I have both BrewPi and CraftBrewPi running at the same time on the Raspberry Pi. I'm not sure if they could be conflicting or not.

Any suggestions? And remember, I'm doing this with no prior knowledge or instructions, so don't assume I'm doing anything correctly.

Thanks.

Some more info:
I'm using a Raspberry Pi 3
I have CraftBeerPi set up in the hardware section to
GPIO for the Swtich_Type
and
1-Wire for the Thermometer_Type

CBPiConfig.PNG

It's still not working.

I've removed the terragady board and connected the temp sensor to the RasPi and get the same results. Maybe it's a bad temp sensor?

This is what I bought for temp sensors
off of ebay. The ebay ad says yellow is data, red is power and black is ground - and that's the way I have it connected.

I don't think there's any setup in the Raspberry Pi. When I go to the /sys/bus/w1/devices folder, there is nothing in it.

Thanks.

I found out what the problem was.

Found on the Adafruit website:
Start by adding the following line to/boot/config.txt
You can edit that file with nano by runningsudo nano /boot/config.txt and then scrolling to the bottom and
typing it there
dtoverlay=w1-gpio
Then reboot withsudo reboot.

I now can see the temp sensor in the dropdown list in CraftBeerPi.

This thing is working great.
I made some "not your father's root beer" clone from a Northern Brewer kit. It's been 2 weeks since bottling and there's been very little carbonation. I think the place I stored the bottles might be a little on the cool side (varying from 66-70F).

I hooked up a single relay Arduino shield/module to the Raspberry Pi and it's turning on/off the heater to maintain 72F. I put the bottles in a plastic bin/container and added a little portable heater in it and covered it. It's in no way air-tight and efficient, but the CraftBrewPi is controlling the temp around 72F. Hopefully this will get the carbonation going a little quicker.

72F.PNG

Hey man I am having the same exact problem! I did a clean install of raspbian bc I thought it may be brewpi at fault. I did update the file as you mentioned, but it didn't solve the issue. Is there something else you might have changed at the same time that solved the issue? I'm at a loss!

One thing I noticed different from yours is a .55v reading from the one wire data ports. Should it be 5v?

Well it occurred to me that perhaps my wires on the onewire were not as I assumed... green is data and yellow was ground lol. Working now!

I've seen where some of the temp probes are wired differently than what you'd expect (red wire not really the 5v DC lead, but instead being the data wire). I've not seen where yellow was ground though.

I'm glad you found the problem.

Back