Help with Sugar free root beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mj1angier

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Little help here please:
Trying to keg a root beer for my cousin. He can't have alcohol due to meds he takes so I plan to force carb it and do a cobra tap. I used 1 small bottle of the zaterans root beer extract and about 3 cups Splenda in a 1.6 gal keg. It is carbing now but so far it feels teal thin in the mouth. The taste is good and sweet ( maybe a hair too sweet).

What is the best way to add body to a root beer?

If that doesn't do the trick, or if the stevia flavor isn't to your liking, look at monk fruit extract as an alternative. Some brands of sugar-free sodas, such as Zevia, use monk fruit extract. I ordered a bag of the white variety and a bag of the brown variety from amazon to do some testing with.

The first batch turned out ok, not great.

The 2nd batch I use Big H, Homestyle Root Beer extract No.1. I use 8 cups Splenda and 1 cup maltodextrin and enough water to make 5 gals. This one came out really good and better mouth feel. Might bump up the maltodextrin to 1.5 cups next time

Back