Help with split batches.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMeans

Reaction score
So I have decided that I want to do an experiment. I want to do a few single hop ipa's but for the different hop varieties I want to familiarize myself with I know I do not have the time now the capacity to brew a 5 gallon batch of each. Instead my plan is to start off with a pretty neutral grain bill. Some 2 row, maybe a little crystal 40, and possibly some carapils. Mash that and attempt to collect roughly 7.5 gallons of wort. I will then take this 7.5 gallons, split it into 5 equal parts, and do five separate boils. I will follow the same hop schedule and dosing on each boil. My question to the HBT community is this: WHen I boil with a full size batch I generally lose roughly a 1 gallon an hour. It is my understanding that this is fairly common normal hence why you generally pull 6-6.5 galls of wort when you mash out. A main factor of the boil off rate is the surface area of the boiling wort. I plan to do my boils in some smaller pots thus decreasing my surface area and my boil off rate. Does anyone have a good formula or rule of thumb that they use to calculate the boil off rate? Does anyone have any tips on things to watch out for doing smaller boils? Am I just wasting my time and should just scale down to 2.5 gallon batches instead of ~1.25?

Sounds like a whole lot of work and a long day. As far as boiling off, I would do a test run with just water. Boil for 15 minutes and see what you loose. Then multiply by 4 and you will know exactly how much the new pot burns off. But instead of spending an entire day brewing with 5 seperate, 60 minute boils, why not just try dry hopping with five diffferent hops in each fermenter?

Its not just about dry hopping. Its about using the hop as my bittering and aroma too. I can do four boils at once on my stove and I have the pots to do so. The only thing I see that might be a challenge logistically would be keeping my hop additions straight.

Latest posts

Back