Help with souring a 100% attenuated saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darksky

Reaction score
This beer went from 1.060 to 1.000 in seven days planned on barrel aging and adding dregs but this saison yeast had other plans. Need advice on what to add to the beer so I can still make it tart.

Using aggressive dregs should do it. Something like crooked stave or jolly pumpkin.

You should be ok if you just pitch a decent amount. You have to remember that is apparent attenuation so there is still sugar in solution. Alcohol is less dense than water so when it is in solution it causes a hydrometer to float higher or when you use a refractometer the alcohol bends light differently. For alcohol % apparent attenuation is fine but if your trying to figure out if there is sugar still in solution to pitch the dregs there definitely is.

Wouldn't add more sugar, just whatever bacteria you have planned. Personally, I'd pitch commercial dregs, if you have them.

just because a beer reached 1.000 does not mean it attenuated everything. There are all sorts of other variables involved. And even if it did reach 100% "apparent" attenuation, it doesnt need additional sugars to impart sour or wild character. The idea that is needs a somewhat high FG to do so is entirely wrong. Chad from Crooked Stave and the MadFermentationist have been quoted with this

Thanks guys I really didn't want to add anything since it's already stronger than its supposed to be. ill go ahead and just pitch the dregs.

Back