Help with sour/brett primary vs secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eujamfh

Reaction score
I know there are lots of posts and I have read a looooooot of them. I posted this in the yeast forum but no takers so am trying here...

I just jumped into sours / funky beers and have four I brewed a month ago. Below are the style and yeast used:

- Lambic that will get some sort of fruit (WLP 655)
- Blonde that will get a little oak (Brett and Pedio)
- Dark that will have cherries and a little oak (WY 3822)
- Flanders (WY 3763)

I intended to leave them in primary for ~10 months and then racking to fruit but after reading other posts I am wondering if I should secondary before putting on fruit.

They are in glass carboys and one (the Red) has a pellicle that has formed.

Should I just leave them in primary? Not much trub in any of them, fermentations first 3-5 days were all rock solid with lots of activity.

There are lots of opinions on what to do in the posts over the years and just looking for a push one way or another.

Thanks for any input!

What are the reasons for moving it to a secondary vessel before the fruit? To me, there should be no reason to secondary, as the only thing it'll do is potentially expose the beer to oxygen and subsequent off flavors.

Latest posts

Back