help with simple wit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePote

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am looking for a couple tips making a beer based on the avery white rascal recipe on the recipes for homebrewers page of averys website (http://averybrewing.com/brewery/recipes-for-homebrewers/).

1- I recently cultured yeast from a bottle of Ebels Weiss from two brothers brewing. Does anybody oppose to using a Weiss yeast to ferment a wit. They seem to be very similar styles and I cant imagine this being a bad choice.

2- I wanted to change up the hops used to use what I have on hand. I planned on doing the same IBU of 60 and 30 minute bittering but using Columbus instead of Bravo. I also have about a half ounce of cascade and was going to use .25 @ 20 for some flavor and the rest at flameout per the recipe. I know hoppy isn't typical of a wit and Im really not into hoppy beers but I recently had a mildly hoppy Belgian (A Little Crazy from Revolution) and I loved it.

3- I have some marmalade left over from a saison I have fermenting and was wondering everyones thoughts on throwing a big spoonful of it in at flameout instead of the orange peel.

Obviously I know this will not be a clone of white rascal but I think it would turn out good. Im trying to put together a handful of inexpensive and easy go-to recipes. I like the idea of Belgians because the yeast provides so much flavor that the recipes can be simple and inexpensive which is what Im shooting for.

Thanks for the help.

-Mike

1. That seems to be a hefeweizen. I wouldn't use it for a wit. Different profile.
2. Columbus is too dank for a wit. Go real subtle on the hops.
3. Marmalade should work.

I will grab the bravo they recommend. About how many IBU of flavor addition should I shoot for for a mild hop flavor?

OK ive decided to scrap the idea and brew edwort bee hive hefe instead. Next time im at the store I will grab some hoegarrden to culture the yeast and then make the white rascal to the recipe. Thanks for the help.

Back