Help with Salt additions in Brewers Friend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnorman93638

Reaction score
Trying to see if I got my addition right?

Water Additives.jpg

Are you using tap water?

Are you acidifying your water?

Have you entered your grain bill into the calculator?

This are all factors that need to be addressed so that the calculator works correctly.

I left these things out in the past and had astringency issues. Currently waiting on results from my changes

Cheers

Also, this is what I used for a porter per yoopers suggestion

Ca+2 Mg+2 Na+ Cl- SO4-2 HCO
49.8 13.0 14.1 84.0 38.7 38.824

Oh one more thing

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/astringency-every-ag-batch-513990/

Here is my thread, I use Brewers Friend as well

Was using My Well water plus RO water. Then trying to add salt to get it close to Dublin water profile. Yes I have everything entered and was going to have to add acid to get the PH down to 5.4

Here's my water with no additives.

My Water.jpg

With that water you don't need to add anything for a dry stout. Provided you have about 10% roast barley the pH will go to about 5.5 which is fine. You could add some additional chloride and/or some additional sulfate which would also have the effect of increasing calcium as, presumably, you'd be using the calcium salts but that is not really necessary. It is, however, something you should experiment with in order to find out just how much of those ions makes the beer you like best.

Thanks AJ. My recipe does have 10% roasted barley. So I think I'll try just using my water and add sum small amounts of salts. What numbers would be good to aim for to get the Calcium and Chorine too?

Back