Help with Saison recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd49401

Reaction score
So I'm going to brew a Saison either today or tomorrow. I was going to use the NB Saison recipe but went to my LHBS and it didn't have Gold Malt Syrup, so I had to replace that with Light DME.

Here is my recipe:
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt
5.04 lbs. Light DME
2.5 oz. French Strisselspalt 60 min.
.5 oz. French Strisselspalt 15 min.
Coriander, Paradise Seeds, Lemon Peel 15 min.

I am using Dupont Saison yeast that I harvested out of two bottles. I created the starter last night.

I am wondering if I add another half pound of the Crystal will it become too sweet since the Saison is a dryer style?

How much coriander, Paradise seeds, and lemon peel should I use? Crushed or just throw them in whole?

And I brewed a Saison last year and fermented in the mid to high 80s and it turned out great. The beer was gone really fast. Should I adhere to the same temp or since I'm using the Dupont yeast should I settle for the mid 70s?

Thanks everyone.

dupont yeast = 3724. Thieriez yeast = 3711. If you fermented hot and it turned out well, you probably used 3724 last time, which is the same yeast you have now.

Add the spices at flameout, don't boil them. I'd use 1g/gal. Crush the seeds. Ditch the crystal. I wouldn't use any at all. I'd also add about 5-10% table sugar, by weight. I guess that'd be about half a pound in that recipe.

The yeast I used last year was 3522 Belgian Ardennes (NB Recommends that for the Saison).

Also thinking about some chamomile.

Will the table sugar help dry it out? Is brown suitable because I heard that white table sugar can create a vinegary taste.

The sunday session just did a great interview with the guy from Trinity Brewing co about Saisons and Sours, and he went into some prety great details about saison brewing.

3724 is a *very* picky yeast, you'll definitely want those higher temperatures to allow it to fully attenuate. Pitch in the 60's like you normally would, but allow it to rise into the 80s (maybe even 90s) as fermentation continues. Give it time....as long as you keep the temperature high (and stable, don't allow it to fluctuate too much) it will finish out low.

Jason from Trinity actually fielded a call about using Belgian Ardennes yeast for a saison and felt that at high temperatures the esters produced would be a bit too fruity for a saison. But hey, Saison is pretty open for interpretation :ban:

As for the crystal malt...I'd consider leaving it out entirely. You want a Saison to be DRY DRY DRY. Adding a small amount of table sugar (1lb or so) is also not a bad idea. It is true that too much sugar can lead to a "cidery" taste, but in this low of an amount it won't be an issue.

Brown sugar is table sugar mixed with molasses, and will give your beer a definite molasses flavor. Plain old table sugar is all you need, but you can experiment with other pure sugars like demerara. The cider flavor is a myth put to rest long ago.

A somewhat different problem you may worry about,

If you just used two bottles of dregs and put them into a starter yesterday, I do not think you will have enough yeast for a batch by tomorrow. When using the dregs, it is best to put them into a small starter (250mL) and do a step up starter, doubling the volume every 24-36hrs until you have a 1 or 2 liter starter.

This is just from personal experience, so feel free to take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks for all the replies. In my original recipe listed, I meant to put 6.04...not 5.04. The 5 was for the 6.3 lbs. of gold malt replacement and there was also a 1 lbs. dme added too.

With that being said, should I still put the extra table sugar in?

And the starter I have is a second step starter...I started with 1 dreg last week and it was successful and last night I added 2 more dregs with 1/2 cup ldme boiled for 15 min in 16 oz water. It's bubbling pretty furiously right now.

Back