Help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewGoose

Reaction score
I want to experiment with some hops I've never tried before. Any comments?

20 L batch

5 kg Pale Ale malt
380 gr Munich I malt
250gr CaraPils malt
250 gr CaraMunich II

Hull Melon 27g @60
Hallertau Blanc 20g @10
Hull melon 20g @10
Hull melon 10g @0
Hallertau Blanc 10g @0

Dry Hop
Hull 30g 7 days before bottling
Blanc 30g 7 days before bottling

I've also been thinking about if i should add some Polaris and Mosaic?

I tried a 6 recently that featured Hull Melon hops - whose was it? I still have a bottle fo it at home.

It was good - fruity melon flavor from the hops. Somehow it lacked punch.

Your recipe looks like a good start. I find it really hard to nail a recipe the first time - usually it takes 3 or 4 tries before I get it to where I want it. Good luck! And enjoy the experiment.

What type fo beer are you aiming for? Pale Ale?

Hallertau blanc works very well with huell melon. Ive used both a lot in my various IPAs. Huell Melon isnt too assertive but has a great unique flavor. I think it would go well with the berry and tropical flavors in Mosaic but Im not too keen on Polaris

Thanks for the comments. After some thoughts ive doodled with the recipe. Im looking for a "thick" and cloudy IPA.

Grain - 20 L IPA

Pilsner malt 4,2 kg
Cara munich l malt 0,6 kg
Munich l malt 0,6 kg
Flaked oats 0,6 kg

Hops

Mosaic 27g @60
Blanc 15g @10
Hull 15g @10
Mosaic 15g @10
-whirfloc @10
Blanc 15g @0
Hull 15g @0
Mosaic 15g @0

Dryhop: 20g of each 7 days

Any thoughts? Im thinking more hops maybe. More blanc and hull and less mosaic?

i agree that you are going to want a lot more hops if you are looking for a hop character as pungent as anythign you could buy off the shelf. I think youd be fine with equal amounts of everything unless you really wanted to stress one particular hop. Maybe use polaris for bittering to save as much hops as you can for late additions.

Biggest thing is to do a flameout hopstand. I shift 90% or more of my additions to the hopstand and end up getting a good portion of my bitterness from it.

If you want your IPA to be cloudy, try adding some flour to the boil
http://www.themadfermentationist.com/2015/06/hop-juice-north-east-ipa-recipe.html

Back