Help with PID- solenoid valve diagram

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartinV

Reaction score
Hello I've been having problems lately with my wiring on my brewing sculpture, I bought a RKC Rex c100 PID, and some echotec solenoid valves, after connecting everything, I had no troubles except for one thing, I don't know how to control my solenoid via the PID, in fact, I don't know how the wiring is between these two components, my PID came with a solid state relay, I would apreciate it very much if someone could tell me how to do these connections, cheers!

That solenoid draws less than 200ma @ 110VAC, so you could use the relay output on the PID to directly control the solenoid valve, as the relay contacts are rated for an amp.

You'd wire your AC line voltage to run the PID (hot/black line on pin 6 and neutral/white line on pin 7). Then add a jumper to bring the hot side to the relay (jumper between pins 6 and 5). Then wire your PID from the relay "output" (pin 4) to one side of the solenoid coil and wire the other side of the solenoid coil back to the neutral line connection at the PID (pin 7).

That ought to do it. Program the PID to use the relay in ON/OFF mode and you should be good to go. You can save the SSR for a future project...

Cheers!

The pins 6 and 7 on my PID diagram have the word AL written on it, and the pins 1 and 2 have 110-240AC, should I still connect them on the pins 6 and 7?

No, don't do anything with my instructions yet, because that doesn't match up with the Rex C100 Series user manual I found here. Per that manual, pins 1 & 2 (and 3, optionally) are for the alarm function.

If your PID has the power input on pins 1 & 2, there's something majorly out of sync here. Are you sure it isn't actually a C400/C410/C700 or C900? All of those have their power inputs on 1 & 2.

There should be a 10 character model number on the unit.
"C100" covers a lot of models, although as best as I can see, with only minor variations all models use the same input power terminals 6 & 7, have the alarm function on 1 & 2, and have the controlled output on pins 4 & 5...

Cheers!

You'll have to go on your own, because that diagram at the end doesn't match the much more legible C100 manual I linked. Without having the actual full model number I can't be sure which manual is the right one to use.

That said, if you transpose the pin numbers I used by their description to whatever you think the pins are on your model PID, it'll work...

Cheers!

Thank you very much for taking the time to help me, I really appreciate it, I'll do what you said
Cheers!

Back