Help with Partigyle & No sparge Mashing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpavlik22

Reaction score
So please feel free to correct or add to anything i say. I have a few questions about No sparge mashing and partigyle brewing.

I made this one topic because i feel No sparge Mashing is the first step in a Partigyle.

Ive read the article by Mosher.

So say i want to brew two - 5.25 gallon batches. Thats 11.5 Gal total at say 1.060 SG (15P) average between the two batches. Now this is the final volume after boil so to calculate preboil i use Ray Daniels Formula (11.5Gal*15P)/14Gal(preboil)=12.3P (1.049SG).

Preboil: 14Gal @ 1.049 (12P)
Postboil: 11.5Gal @ 1.060 (15P)

14Gal*12P=168P/Gal
(.58 & .42 taken form Mosher article)**
1st Batch:
(168P/Gal*.58 )/7=14P or 1.056

2nd Batch:
(168P/Gal*.42 )/7=10P or 1.040

Assume using 27.5lbs 2-row will give me the correct gravity of 1.049 at 14Gal

So my questions is:

Is there an easier way to figure this out?
Did i calculate this correctly?
how do you calculate the mash volume and temp based of the info for both batches?
If I want 1.3qts/lb mash do I mix all 27.5 lbs with 8.95 gal, mash, run off 7 gal for first batch?
Then do I refill with same vol 8.95gal and drain for second batch?

I'm no expert on Partigyle brews, but I have found that in calculating the sparge water (or in your case, the second runnings), you generally don't need to add much more than the volume you want for your pre-boil volume (in this case, 7 gal). The grain tends to absorb almost all the water it's going to absorb during the mash, so the sparge is mostly just rinsing out the sugars left over.

If I were doing this, I'd do 7.5 gal for the second runnings, with the extra .5 gal just to avoid the possibility of draining my mash tun dry.

You are definetly on the right track! I don't think there is an easier way to figure it out, everytime I plan a partigyle session it involves a lot of junior high math. Your calculations seem right on. You calculate the mash just like you are doing one big mash as far as amount of water and temp. You are right that the first runnings are for your first beer and the second runnings(sparge) are for your second beer. The gravity can be adjusted fairly easily in either directions by adding water, adding dme, or blending amounts of the seperate worts.

Back