Help with my new AG "system"!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachY2072

Reaction score
Hi!
Fairly new-ish brewer, long time drinker, and about the second time posting so forgive me for any etiquette mistakes! Also I will be posting from my phone because of the firewall here at work. Anyway, enough with the disclaimer on to my situation!
I have recently tried to make the switch from extract to all grain. I tried to use the "BIAB" method with little to no success, so I will be putting in more money to complete my system. I will just list what I have:

-1 8 Gal brew kettle w/ball valve and thermometer
-1 5 Gal igloo cooler w/10' copper coil immersion cooler w/ball valve (didn't cool well)
-1 10 Gal igloo cooler (I plan to convert this to a mash tun)

What else do I need to add to this system? I've seen the three tiered systems and I like those, just don't know where the plans are for them. I would probably build it out of wood. Any help here would be great because my BIAB experience wasn't great.
Thanks,
-Zach

**P.S. Bonus question (suddenly remembered): I have a BULK amount of bottles I need to remove labels from and THOROUGHLY clean, any suggestions on how to tackle this efficiently? Thanks again!**

My first question would be to ask why your BIAB experience wasn't great? What went wrong? It would be ashame if there was a simple (and cheap) fix that could save you the hassle to a more complicated system. BIAB is simple all-grain brewing. More traditional systems are great, but they are also more complicated... I'd hate to see you make things more difficult, invest a lot, and end up with problems...

Options for removing labels:
1. Don't bother.
2. Bucket + oxyclean solution + soak overnight = fall right off. (takes care of labels and cleaning requirement. Buy a cheap bottle brush at your LHBS)

Sounds like you have most of the stuff you need already... For my AG setup I use a keggle for my boil pot, a 10 gallon igloo cooler for MLT, and a 24 qt stock pot for strike/sparge water... I have been doing batch sparges and getting very good efficiency, in fact I hit my estimated OG spot on last batch (2nd one btw) by scaling back water from my 1st batch notes...
I do not have a "system" yet but with help its easy to move the stuffs for a 5 gallon batch...
As for cleaning the bottles that depends on your water... Most will recommend oxyclean FREE but I have hard water and it will film up the bottles BAD... So I go with PBW...

Not sure why you need two coolers? One 10 gallon for the mash tun is good. Upsize your pot to 10 gallons, you'll boil over otherwise. You'll need another 5 gallon pot to make you're sparge water in while you are draining out your first drippings from the mash tun. Your initial boil is going to be 7-8 gallons in volume. You need at least a 25' IC or you'll never cool that wort down. Get a good burner or you'll be waiting for that thing to boil for 2 days. Consider getting a fountain pump and setting up a recirc ice bath for your chiller, this is more Eco friendly and efficient, it takes about 40 lbs of ice to chill a 5-6 gallon batch (this is optional though if you live in cooler climates).

Oh and you need a mash paddle.

evrose said:
My first question would be to ask why your BIAB experience wasn't great? What went wrong?
Meh, bag ripped. The real reason I wanted to switch over is already have everything I need for an actual mash tun to save me from that heavy bag lifting, haha. The 10 gallon igloo could be my mash tun, I also already have a false bottom to fit it.

MadCnty said:
Sounds like you have most of the stuff you need already... For my AG setup I use a keggle for my boil pot, a 10 gallon igloo cooler for MLT, and a 24 qt stock pot for strike/sparge water... I have been doing batch sparges and getting very good efficiency, in fact I hit my estimated OG spot on last batch (2nd one btw) by scaling back water from my 1st batch notes...

What do you use as a wort chiller? The oddball is the 5 gallon immersion igloo cooler with the copper tubing. So that is where I am. The other poster has me nervous about my 8 gal brew pot as well , haha.

greatschmaltez said:
Not sure why you need two coolers? One 10 gallon for the mash tun is good. Upsize your pot to 10 gallons, you'll boil over otherwise. You'll need another 5 gallon pot to make you're sparge water in while you are draining out your first drippings from the mash tun. Your initial boil is going to be 7-8 gallons in volume. You need at least a 25' IC or you'll never cool that wort down. Get a good burner or you'll be waiting for that thing to boil for 2 days. Consider getting a fountain pump and setting up a recirc ice bath for your chiller, this is more Eco friendly and efficient, it takes about 40 lbs of ice to chill a 5-6 gallon batch (this is optional though if you live in cooler climates).

Oh and you need a mash paddle.

Yeah, really need a mash paddle. Thanks!

I've gotta use the 8 gal pot, it was a gift and I think I'm past the return date haha. The copper immersion cooler is the odd man out I guess, should I just add more copper to the coil and use it or what? What is the best way to cool wort?

Bump

Also this

image-2315021824.jpg

Here is my wood 3 tier sculpture:
IMG_5399-1.jpg

To dimension it; I took my Fermenter and sat it on the floor. I then determined how high I needed the boil kettle to drain into it. Then I did the same for the mash tun and then the HLT. I use 10 gallon pots and a 10 gallon cooler. 8 gallons for the BK would work but you will really have to watch carefully for boil overs. For cooling I made two 20' copper tubing coils one goes it the BK the other in a bucket of cold water. When the temperature is close to tap water temperature and I need to go lower I add ice to the cold water. I can cool mid summer to 60 degrees in about 1/2=3/4 hour.

I have also turned the rig around have the BK by the sink for cooling.

If you get 2 propane burners put the 8 gallon pot as your HLT and drain directly into the tun. That makes it much easier than heating sparge water and lifting it to the HLT or mash tun.

I first heat my mash water and while waiting on the mash I refill the HLT and heat the sparge water. The HLT is also plumbed now so that I only have to open a valve to fill it.

What do you use as a wort chiller? The oddball is the 5 gallon immersion igloo cooler with the copper tubing. So that is where I am. The other poster has me nervous about my 8 gal brew pot as well , haha.
I use a dyi wort chiller that I made from copper tubing with vinyl tubing... I just make sure that the vinyl doesn't touch the wort at all... Again I have hard water (well water) so cooling is not a problem for me as its temp is @ 55 degrees...

Back