Help with my lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphalabuk

Reaction score
Hello all. This past weekend I brewed an Oktoberfest lager using WLP830. It is currently happily fermenting in my swamp cooler at a reasonably constant 53 degrees. My question: I am leaving for my honeymoon in one week, and I am certain it will not be done fermenting. I will not be able to watch it and add ice bottles to maintain my swamp cooler. Can I just put the entire fermenter in my fridge at 42 degrees for 6 days? I reckon it will slow down or stop my fermentation-maybe not? and if so, can I resume once I get back?

Thanks in advance.

I would check gravity right before you leave. I bet it will be close to FG depending on how much yeast you pitched. If it is close I would add some extra ice bottles to keep it cool for another day or so after you leave then let it free rise for a D rest while you are gone. Upon returning I would stick it in fridge for cold crashing/lagering.

It should be real close to being done already. My lagers are usually at FG within about 5 days of pitching and then I allow it to float up to ambient for the D-rest for a few days regardless if needed or not. If it's not ready to keg and lager within 10-14 days after pitching, then something is wrong.

I'd check FG this weekend and if at FG or within a few points, go ahead and remove all temp control for a few days, then keg (if you keg, or transfer to secondary if you don't) and start lagering.

First of all, congratulations on the wedding!

I would just leave it and not worry about it. For most of my lagers, I start ramping the temperature up to 68 after about 5-6 days and leave it there for a week or so to ensure the yeast is done. After about 50% of attenuation is complete, you can warm it up without an issue.

So go have fun and be ready to lager it when you get home!

Since you'll have a week at 53, I'd bump the temp to 60 and let it sit like that until you get back. Give it a diacetyl rest for a couple days when you get back and call it good.

Lots of way to go as described above. Crucial part of fermentation will be completed by the time you leave

Back