help with my first ipa citrus/trpocial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irishrover32

Reaction score
so i want to brew an IPA with big citrus and tropical flavours that has a cloudy vibrant orange hue to it. im looking for around 50 IBUs but as much flavour as i can get heres the recipe iv constructed. please give me all the advice u can this is my 4th brew and first IPA

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American IPA
Boil Time: 90 min
Batch Size: 1.59 gallons (fermentor volume)
Efficiency: 70% (brew house)

STATS:
Batch: 1.59 gallons
Original Gravity: 1.052
Final Gravity: 1.012
ABV (standard): 5.3%
IBU (tinseth): 47
SRM (lovidobnd): 15l

FERMENTABLES:
1.6lb pale ale 47.5%
1.6lb munich dark (22L) 47.5%
2.6OZ wheat 5%

HOPS:
.18 oz - citra for 15 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 11, IBU: 10)
.18 oz - amarillo for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 8, IBU: 5)
.18 oz - cascade for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 6, IBU: 4)
.18 oz - citra for 10 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 11, IBU: 8)
.35 oz - amarillo for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 8, IBU: 6)
.35 oz - cascade for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 6, IBU: 5)
.35 oz - citra for 5 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 11, IBU: 8)

MASH STEPS:
Temp: 150 F, Time: 90 min

YEAST:
WLP 001 CALIFORNIA ALE

This looks more like a hoppy brown, i'd definitely decrease the dark munich. The hop schedule looks good for a pale ale, it might lack some bitterness expected from an IPA. The lines are so blurred these days, it's hard to say what's what anymore. The hop schedule looks good, the citra will add the taste you're wanting.

I'd try using a light munich and go maybe 10-15% of the total fermentables with it. Also, there is a red wheat available (weyerman i think). Might want to try that.

i read somewhere that munich II can give an orange hue to beer which is what im after, i certainly dont want it brown. what is red wheat? would that give a nice colour? i intentionally kept the biterness low cause im trying to turn ireland onto IPA's starting with my friends and family but there all pussies :p

Haha, bring those hops to the masses. I like it.

You aren't talking about caramunich are you? I don't have any experience with that stuff. The percentage seems really high though, and munich tends to give you a very rich malt taste, which might conflict with your goal. When I think munich, I think Dunkel or Oktoberfest.

Check this site out, it will give you an idea of what color your beer will be based on the malts added.

http://www.brewersfriend.com/srm-calculator/

I think you could bump up the Citra even a little more. I recently did a 5gallon batch all citra with 12oz and I think it's spot on. 3oz of it was dry hopped and the rest spread throughout the boil.

You really have an APA going on here. You could add more Pale malt to get an OG over 1060 and rasie your IBU's to around 60 or more, then you'll be in more of the IPA range.

I love me some of those Citras! I would be a little careful about using them as your bittering hop (aka - the hops you put in 1st). You don't want the bittering side of Citra overtake that wonderful aroma. Everything else looks real nice!

My 4th beer was also a my 1st Pale Ale (mine was an APA, not an IPA), and I used Cascade to bitter with, and left the Citra for the 30 min. to 5 min. addition. It was the best beer I've brewed to date.

I've never used Munich malt in any beer, but it will be interesting to see how it tastes in an IPA. Since one of the best beers I've ever had was a black IPA, I don't count out any malt in any beer style!

Make sure you post the results...it might be the next beer I brew ;)

Don't worry about Munich turning your ipa into a brown. 100% Munich won't make a brown.
Personally I think that Munich adds a great maltiness to an ipa.

I love me some of those Citras! I would be a little careful about using them as your bittering hop (aka - the hops you put in 1st). You don't want the bittering side of Citra overtake that wonderful aroma. Everything else looks real nice!

My 4th beer was also a my 1st Pale Ale (mine was an APA, not an IPA), and I used Cascade to bitter with, and left the Citra for the 30 min. to 5 min. addition. It was the best beer I've brewed to date.

I've never used Munich malt in any beer, but it will be interesting to see how it tastes in an IPA. Since one of the best beers I've ever had was a black IPA, I don't count out any malt in any beer style!

Make sure you post the results...it might be the next beer I brew ;)

Thanks for the advice I'll swap out the first citra for cascade

is there any paticular yeast i should use to accentuate the fruity tropical flavours or is the yeast not important. i was thinkin about goin with S-04? anyone any thoughts

If you want the yeast to stay out of the way of the hop flavor, then you should use an american yeast like S-05.

For what your describing I'd say go with 96-97% pale malt and 3-4% crystal 40 or similar. That will give you some orange color, but still allow the hops to take center stage, which is want for this beer. Hop schedule looks good, just do 2 or 3 times more of everything. Maybe just boost your OG and add a 60 min addition to give a slightly more firm bitterness. WLP001, WY1056 or S-05 will do nicely for yeast. Enjoy the brew.

Tombstone0 said:
Don't worry about Munich turning your ipa into a brown. 100% Munich won't make a brown.
Personally I think that Munich adds a great maltiness to an ipa.

+1 ^. Munich is still a base malt (so no fear of turning into a brown), but from my experience, adds some nice maltiness (and the color you are going for), when used anywhere from 10-20% as part of the base-grains.

I have also used a little cara-red (just be careful - like caramunich - this is a crystal/caramel malt, and too much will lead to a sweeter product and not as dry as you might like for an IPA), and I've tried some rye (anywhere from 5-20%) in a couple rye-IPA's, and got a good orange-reddish hue from both. A little rye is great for color, a little spicy dryness, and an interesting APA/IPA when used in moderation.

WLP007 is my yeast of choice. Just enough of the English-malty character, but attenuates like a champ, leaving a nice dry beer, while still letting the hops shine through. S-05 or WLP001 would get you where you want as well.

I recommend S-05. I've only used a handful of yeasts, but I've found that S-05 allows all the other flavors of in the beer shine! The owner/operator of a local brewery uses it in his IPA, and it has served him very well over the past 10 years.

Again, PLEASE post up when it's done!

I recommend S-05. I've only used a handful of yeasts, but I've found that S-05 allows all the other flavors of in the beer shine! The owner/operator of a local brewery uses it in his IPA, and it has served him very well over the past 10 years.

Again, PLEASE post up when it's done!

ok cheers think ill go for that. and ill defo post up a pic when its done looking forward to this one

If you're still concerned about color, I'd split up your LME additions. 30-40% at the beginning, add the rest at 10-15 min.

so brewed this the weekend i split up the batch one with s-05 and one with s-04, gonna ferment for 2 weeks and dry hop for one so ill come back to this in a few weeks

cheers for all help and advice

I love that idea. I might dry hope both of them so you only have one variable (your yeast) in your "experiment." I always get excited when I see that this thread has new posts:)

bit of an update on this. i checked my gravitys today after the 2 week mark and they'v seemed to stabilize i got 1.008 for the 05 and 1.010 for the 04, last week when i checked they were actually lower 1.006 and 1.008 my last readings must have had hop and yeast particles in it which caused the low readings. but this makes me worry about my OG reading when i took that i could see tiny particles of hops as i dont use muslin bags in my boil so how off could my readings actually be?? and is there anyway to combat this in the future. i tasted the samples and i have to say i was very very impressed with the 05, i immediatly got a smell of pineapple and there was a lovely fruity sweetness there, still alot of harsh bitterness but what can you expect after 2 weeks. the 04 was a bit more dissapointing there was still a big sulfur smell and i couldn get much fruityness off it, it was more on the malty side for some reason and lacked the hoppy flavours i got from the 05, is this possible? i tasted the 05 first could this have made me a bit less sensitive to the flavours when tasting the 04? but iv thrown in my dry hops now so im really looking forward to checking back on this next week should be interesting im really excited about this one.

I've not used these yeasts before (so please someone correct me if I'm wrong here) - but doesn't the 04 attenuate a bit less than the 05? If so, I'd think it would leave a little more residual malt sweetness behind, leaving that batch a little less "dry" than the one with the 05. So in the 04, I'd expect to have a little more maltiness to the final product, and a little less perception of hop character coming through. The 05, on the other hand, will really let the hop profile shine through a bit more.

They'll both probably be great. After dry hopping I don't think you'll be disappointed - you'll just have 2 slightly different beers (and a great idea going forward of the differences in final character of 04 and 05 for different styles you want to make in the future).

Cheers and thanks for posting the results so far! Looking forward to your final results!

thats makes so much sense actually i didn think about that. but ye im glad i took the time i hope by the end of this ill be pretty familiar with the differences between the two yeasts.

I love these kind of side by side experiments. I always do 2 x 5 gal batches side by side. I try to always do somewhat similar styles and ingredients, but with a few differences (ie...Marris otter in one, 2-row in the other, or a very similar grain bill and same yeast, but different hops...)

(My yeast of choice is WLP 007, which I think would produce a fairly similar product to US 05 from what I've read.)

It's hard sometimes to not pick a favorite early on when doing these side by side batches. I try to remember that one vs the other isn't necessarily "better" - and try to keep in mind that they will be different in the end, with the goal being to learn what the different ingredients contribute. As you're finding - it's pretty crazy that one seemingly small change (2 different yeasts), can make such a big difference in final beer character. That's one of the most fun parts of this hobby for me!

quick update on this

bottle with S-04 10/12/13 fridged for 2 days: lovely colour but very dark no light gets through the head making it appear dark and murky. sweet tropical fruits on the nose mainly pineapple, good carbonation big head from pour which dissapaits to a dense stuburn half finger head that leaves lacing down the glass. great mouth feel to it maybe due to the lowish carbonation in it right now but it still gives a good head, the bubbles are small and dont sting the mouth it may change with more time and get fizzyer but right now i really like it it feels juicy in the mouth with great body. taste is dominated by hops you get a slight fruityness from them followed by a nice smooth bitterness which hangs around in the back of the mouth for a moment and then gives way to a fruity after taste. however in my opinion it could use more hops mainly late additions to enhance the flavour but the fact that this was made using S-04 may be causing this, wen i tried samples the S-05 seemed to have more hop flavour so it will be interesting to see how the S-05 tastes. i would like to have more of a malt back bone aswell maybe introduce a little bit of crystal or munich next batch.

bottle with S-05 12/12/13 in fridge two days: great aroma from hops very fruity, tropical fruits pineapple and such. lovely colour quite pale in natural light. good head nicely carbonated starts off with a nice head and dissapaits like S-04, mouthfeel is very nice not too carbed and fizzy to my liking, could be a tiny bit more carbonated. taste is more intense than S-04 definatly more hops to it but could be a little more intense but definatly very good, followed by a nice smooth non intense bitterness, flavour lingers in the mouth which is very nice no bad after taste. not much malt to it which id like to change with a bit of munich maybe or carared which i like.

GetAttachment.aspx

So here's a quick update and picture I can't believe the colour difference between the 2 yeast the s-o4 is on the right and the s-05 on the left how can yeast play such a big roll in colour??
search

So here's a quick update and picture I can't believe the colour difference between the 2 yeast the s-o4 is on the right and the s-05 on the left how can yeast play such a big roll in colour??
search

Easy. Throw a 2D6 for all the grist, but a yeast is a D20. Add in a modifier of D20+10 because of its importance, and boom: big roll.

EDIT: haha. But yeah, we can't see your pics.

Back