Help with my CO2 Regulator and Keg (video included)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

collinsDPT

Reaction score
First corny was filled and hooked up to CO2 tank 2 weeks ago. Did the set and forget method at 10psi. Initially could hear CO2 flowing through the tube, but my beer doesn't seem to be getting any more carbonated so I was messing with the setup today and can no longer get any CO2 to release. I lifted the bottle and it feels pretty heavy, but could be empty for all I know. Did extensive leak testing with soap and water initially and didn't hear/see any leaks.

The weirder thing is that I cant figure this regulator out. I have to admit that I have no idea how they work, outside of turning the screw to adjust the pressure. But since the first day I have had difficulty with it dialing in to a certain PSI (Have never gotten the dial past 12psi, it won't adjust any higher).

This video is crappy but at least you can see what I am dealing with. (Also, I didn't show it in the video, but I did lift up on the release valve also, with no change in the dial reading. And, even if the tank is empty, I don't know why this regulator is so difficult to adjust)

HELP!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dude, the tank is totally empty. Remove the regulator, get your reading glasses out, and you should be able to find the "Tare Weight" of the empty CO2 tank stamped into the tank somewhere in the vicinity of the neck. Weigh the tank - anything above the stamped Tare Weight would be CO2. I'm betting that tank is sitting exactly on its Tare Weight right now...

Cheers!

I figured it was, but can't figure out what the deal with the regulator is. There is something definitely going on with it as it is near impossible to set to a certain psi - even with a full tank.

Looks like you're out of CO2. The high pressure not registering anything means no CO2 or a bad gauge. I had the same problem with my low pressure gauge. It wouldn't read anything above 20psi. I took it apart and adjusted the spring a little at a time. I calibrated it to my other low pressure gauge (dual regulator setup) until they were even by backing both regulators all the way down (identical regulators) and turning one turn at a time on both. Took apart, fiddled with the spring, and did again and again until the bad one matched the good one turn for turn.

I have another full co2 tank but there's no reason to hook it up if I have a leak somewhere. What's the best thing to do now to check for leaks?

i did a test by submerging the CO2 tank with the regulator underwater this morning. As you can see in the video there were a few bubbles coming out from the hole underneath the screw and also From the bottom portion of the high PSI gauge. I'm not sure if this was just oxygen being purged from underneath the dial.

One interesting thing to note is that once I switched the regulator to my second tank this was the first time that the high PSI gauge was reading anything. It had never shown any pressure when connected to the first tank.

Thoughts??

[ame]http://youtu.be/KYaiPpyff_g[/ame]

Another update: I let the tank+reg sit in the water for 5 minutes and saw minimal to no bubbles (only if I tapped the high reg dial both with co2 on and off, which eventually stopped.

Then connected tank back to the system and sprayed the hell out of everything with starsan solution. Turned off fridge so I could hear for leaks. Carefully turned each valve on and off on my manifold along with putting my ear next to each. Nothing.

Sprayed the keg posts, release valve, and center lid. Nothing.

I left the system on which is stupid because I know I will go back out in a day or 2 to another empty tank.

What am I missing?!?!?!

Awesome video - perhaps an actual recording of the exact moment a regulator got sent on its way to Heaven through deliberate drowning. We'll see ;)

From the video I'd say your problems are clearly down stream of the regulator. So take your kegs, gas them up, and turn them upside down in a bucket of water. If they don't leak, then the problem must be in the distribution plumbing, which can also be dunked while under gas pressure.

Finally, is it just possible the original tank was empty from the jump?

Cheers!

Thanks for the help.

I just disconnected the pressurized keg and submerged it upside down. No bubbles. I put it back in the freezer but disconnected and then turned off the CO2 tank leaving the pressure still in the regulator and the manifold/hoses. I am going to leave this for an hour or so and then go see if the pressure release valve will release any CO2 from the regulator or manifold.

That a decent plan?

I know I keep making post after post but this has driven me nuts all damn day...

This video shows me taking it out of the Keezer and making adjustments to the tank and the regulator. The weird thing that I did not show in the video is if I just put pressure against the low pressure gauge on the bottom of the gauge or the top of the gauge with my finger I can get the PSI to jump from 12 to 2 to 5 to 10 etc. Once I dialed in 12 psi I could do the same thing.

What the hell is going on?

[ame]http://youtu.be/uzjolXulfDE[/ame]

Sounds like issues with you gas disconnect. I had issues with one that had sucked beer up into it then It would stick. You push it on and it would give a little hiss then no gas through it. Switched to another worked like a charm. Either try a different disconnect or take the one apart clean and reassemble it and see if that helps any.

I checked the gas QD and found no leaks.

For the past 24 hours it has been hooked up, PSI has stayed consistent at 12psi and the high pressure gauge has hovered just shy of 600psi. Wish me luck that the first tank just so happened to be empty...

Latest posts

Back