Help with my Cigar Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randomgnarkill

Reaction score
I've been having so much trouble trying to make this stir plate to work right. I could get it to about 1/4 speed before the stir bar jumps off. I've looked online and tried plenty of things.
It's a 1" stir bar
2000ml flask
Pulse controller
Earth magnets from computer.
?s
Can the lid be to thick with the cloth.
Is my stir bar too small
Thanks for your help

I think the button magnets may be a bit too far apart for optimal performance.
They're so close to the ends that one of them is probably "losing its grip" if the bar moves just a little off center.
That leaves the bar pivoting on the other magnet and it likely gets tossed before half a rotation...

Cheers!

Thanks I'll try them closer. I've try the button magnets and also the earth magnets from a hard drive. I know it's a small tweak of some sort I just don't have the experience. Thanks

Try using one of the octagonal stir bars with the molded ring in the center . . . My stir plate gave me fits until I switched to one of these . . . It can still throw the bar if I ramp the speed up too quickly, but overall very stable.

fwiw, I think button magnets are less than optimal.
I use broad-side polarized bar magnets, 1x.25x.1" N40 (Magcraft NSN0834/N40), and my two stirrers can swing 1" to 2" generic bars at full speed without issue, even when the yeast has thickened at the end of the stir.

ab_stirplates_apr_25_2013_03.jpg

The entire face of each magnet is a pole so it's pretty clear why they work so well...

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back