Help with my 1st lager experiment...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobdaferret

Reaction score
Okay, so I want to do a very specific lager idea, but am having a hard time putting all the pieces together for my recipe... any help would be awesome!!

Here are the stipulations:

- I want this recipe to resemble something close to a JW Dundee Honey Brown, so darker & sweetened with honey, but also definitely bigger, like 6-7%

- I want to also fuse that with a traditional Japanese rice lager--don't know if it's just as simple as throwing in some rice syrup?

- Finally, I will use togarashi, a unique Japanese spice blend that includes sansho, citrus zest, chili pepper, toasted sesame seeds, and ginger.

I shall call it... "Toga Party". :D

Yeesh. Allrighty....

Well id use vienna as the basemalt, with a touch of carafa 2 or 3 special for color. (I cant imagine a heavily munich malt beer pairing with those spices.)
Lets say something like:

1.068 (% are by potential extract, not raw weight)

79% Weyermann Vienna
1% Carafa Special 3
12% Flaked rice (or rice syrup)
8% Honey

Mash 146(30)-155(60) 5.3-5.4 mash ph, using CaCl2 to hit mash ph if necessary. Keep the water on the soft side.

20-25 IBU total using a clean bittering hop. (like perle, magnum or warrior)

1 oz of Hallertau Hersbrucker, crystal, or styrian goldings @ 10
Add your spice blend at flameout. Really, really, dont add too much.

Ferment with wlp940 @ 50. (make sure you use a calculator to determine how much yeast, you will need a ton)

Back