help with motor wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmc922

Reaction score
I have this GE motor currently running on a SPST switch. How can i wire a switch that allows me to use both clockwise and counter clockwise drive direction?

CAM00016.jpg

I wired my motor with a DPDT Center off switch the way day tripper picture showed. Motor now spins cw and ccw, however in the center off position the motor makes a humming noise and starts to smoke. Any way to fix this or am i going to just burn out my motor?

I wired my motor with a DPDT Center off switch the way day tripper picture showed. Motor now spins cw and ccw, however in the center off position the motor makes a humming noise and starts to smoke. Any way to fix this or am i going to just burn out my motor?

You already had the SPST in line for on/off, right? That's why I didn't suggest the center-off DPDT.

That said, it should work fine, so there's something clearly wrong. If you go through the wiring and can't find anything amiss, take it apart, borrow an ohmmeter, and go through the switch.

Decades ago I came across some miniature DPDT center-off switches that in the center position had one common connected to a leg from one pole and the other common was connected to the opposite leg from the other pole. Thrown in either direction the switches behaved as expected, but the center position was completely bogus. Bad switches...

Cheers!

yeah already had spst for on/off. Probably the switch came from radio shack. Any place online know to sell good electronic wiring supplies?

Grainger is a good place as well, if you can pick it up at one of their local stores there is no shipping.

The switch you installed is there to reverse the connection on the start winding. When you place the switch in the Center Off position there is still power being applied to the Run Winding and the motor cannot start. Using a center off switch is a mistake. Don't do that.

You need to power the motor down completely before reversing it.

I hope this makes sense.

Back