Help with length of time in the primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1newbie

Reaction score
Brewing my first batch of brew and I know I'm supposed to remove the beer from the primary 24-48 hrs after the air lock has stopped bubbling but is there going to be issues if it is 4-6 days after it stops? My brew will be in the primary for 6 days them I have to leave on an unexpected work trip for 7 day. When I get back it will have been in the primary for 13 days. Am I going to have major issues?
Thanks,

Leave it in the primary until it's ready to bottle, 3-4 weeks from now. Your yeast and your beer will love you for it.

Secondary is unnecessary for most beers, unless you're lagering, adding fruit, wood, something.

2-3 weeks is typical primary time.

First, ignore the airlock. In a LOT of cases it really means nothing to the homebrewer.

Use a hydrometer after maybe 2 weeks and see if the FG is where it's expected to be. Then check 3 days later and see if it's changed.

Now if the gravity is low enough, and stable, you can:

a) rack to secondary and let the beer clear a week or two before bottling, or...
b) leave in primary to clear for a week or two before bottling

Racking to secondary is fine if you use proper sanitation and try not to splash the wort. Leaving in primary is ok for a couple of weeks if you think you can transfer the beer to the bottling bucket without sucking up a bunch of yeast and trub.

A lot of homebrewers skip the secondary these days because they have found a little more time on the yeast cake doesn't really affect the beer at all. For myself, I usually just leave in the primary until the beer is finished and fairly clear then rack to a keg and just use it as a secondary. If you bottle, then using a secondary might be preferred just to make it easier to avoid sucking any yeast or trub into the bottling bucket.

Bottom line is, It's all Good, Baby!

Thanks for all the help with my first brew. It's looking good so far and had some piece of mind while I was away.

Secondary is unnecessary for most beers, unless you're lagering, adding fruit, wood, something.

2-3 weeks is typical primary time.

This depends on your own taste buds. I do not like the flavor, subtle though it often is, that results when I leave my beer on the yeast for a longer time. I like to ferment and then move my beer to a keg in 2 weeks TOPS for an ale, and 3 weeks for a lager. So for my tastes (and that is who I brew for) a secondary is necessary.

It is strictly a personal decision. It is OK to leave it in a primary, and it is OK to move it to a secondary. If you are just getting started, then primary only is certainly the easier/safer way to go. As you gain confidence in your brewing skills, try it the other way and decide for yourself

This depends on your own taste buds. I do not like the flavor, subtle though it often is, that results when I leave my beer on the yeast for a longer time. I like to ferment and then move my beer to a keg in 2 weeks TOPS for an ale, and 3 weeks for a lager. So for my tastes (and that is who I brew for) a secondary is necessary.

It is strictly a personal decision. It is OK to leave it in a primary, and it is OK to move it to a secondary. If you are just getting started, then primary only is certainly the easier/safer way to go. As you gain confidence in your brewing skills, try it the other way and decide for yourself

I should add though that many people DO like the flavors that arise from extended yeast cake contact. Again, strictly personal

Back