Help with Leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btrhomebrew

Reaction score
I was extremely fortunate to inherit a kegerator and old corny keg from a family member who was in the bar business. The corny keg had been used as a door stop for 15 years and pretty beat up. I cleaned it up really good and ordered a new lid (racetrack lid). I got all the fittings and about a week away from kegging.....

Today I filled it up with water to pressure test it. I got huge gas leaks coming out of the in post.... I put some soap on all the areas and the leak is coming out of the very bottom of the post where the metal meats the black rubber part of the top of keg.... When i screwed down even tighter, still same.... So i untightned and a small hard black circle came off.... It wasn't a gasket but looked like part of the black plastic mold on keg.... Tightened down again and still lots of bubbles and leaking...

Any advise for this? Should i get a new keg? Attached is a picture, the small bubbles are where it is really coming out....

photo-50.jpg

Another note... It is leaking so bad the water was actually coming out and down the side of the keg....

Indeed! It's part "E" on this picture. On old kegs I've take apart, the dip tube o-rings have been pretty much trashed. Hit the new one with a touch of keg lube before you put it back on. Get the post nice and snug, but don't really wail on it with a wrench or you can shred it.

keg_explode.gif

Back